PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I happened upon a YouTube vid (from 2016) encouraging folks to visit B&Ms to seek out rare or hard-to-find blends (in his case, Esoterica Penzance and Stonehaven). He scored 4 tins of Penzance, one 8oz bag of Penzance, and one 8oz bag of Stonehaven, all in one shop. He claimed that B&Ms may be better at finding such items than online shops, and that he has only found Penzance at B&Ms (and has never found it in stock online).
I'm wondering if this was a rare occurrence, or if it's a good idea to check local shops.
What are your experiences?
(I'm only a week into pipe smoking so any suggestions are welcomed)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Always a good idea to check in at the local shops. You can find some pretty exciting things.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I haven't seen ANY of those in any B&M I've been to and I usually try to walk in and take a pass through those I find. Maybe it attests to the rarity of B&M's that carry wide selections of pipe tobacco. Still have yet to walk into a B&M that might even come close to carrying items you mention. Would be fantastic to actually find one though.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It as rare but I walked into one shop last month on va action and they had about 50 tins of mcclellands still on the shelf. Our local has a wide array of rattray which is sold out almost everywhere online and they had a bunch of mcclelland bulk for months after they closed. Never know what you will find,

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Interesting topic. My answer is: Yes, you can find interesting items at B&Ms but it's a hit and miss affair.
Following the McClelland meltdown, I was traveling for business and walked into a B&M that was a huge smoke shop but didn't have many pipe smokers. I walked into the pipe section and picked up: McC's Balkan Blue x 5, Beacon x4, and Three Oaks Syrian x 3, amongst other McCs. (The clerk told me someone bought 40 tins of Frog "something" the day before.) Also, picked up a number of Dunhills with 5 years of age including Flake.
I also have a long distance relationship with some B&Ms. (Friendly emails and phone ca lls can help build a relationship. I sent some local tobacco to the shop as a thank you.) From one recently, I picked up some of Esoterica's line.
Moral of the story: there's a lot out there but it can be hit and miss. But, building relationships with B&Ms will rarely lead you astray. (But, good luck finding Stonehaven or Penzance. Although, it's easy to find cool stuff to trade for those two).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's where I found most of my Esotericas, and at uninflated prices under $30 per 8 ounce bag.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think the people buying Esoterica to sell at $200 plus per bag on eBay regularly wipe out the B&M's supplies these days. I make it a point in my travels to try to stop at as many as I can. Not many B&M's these days that amount to much as far as pipe tobacco goes. I occasionally run across a gem or two but they are becoming further and further in between.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With the exception of a few bags that I picked up on line, all of my cellared Esoterica has been bought from B&Ms. I have a few that I buy from. I buy a variety of items, like any customer, so they're willing to sell unobtainium to me. Many will not sell to cherry pickers because they want to save unobtainium for their regulars. I have what I need, so I no longer have to hunt for the few Esoterica blends that I like.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
If you spend $ at B&M’s they often magically have a stash of Esoterica they are willing to sell. $ talks.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
+1 on Neal's point about spending money at a B&M. I've either been the recipient of a First Dibs phone call or on occasion, a tin or bag emerges from a dark corner of the back room.
However, I've found tins in unexpected places. Last year, I got a tin of Penzance in a discount cigarette shop that sells a smattering of pipe tobacco and some cigars. Other good finds have been some well-aged tins. I just picked up four 100g tins of 2012 HH Acadian Perique for $17 each. And found some nice Robert McConnell's and older square Dunhill Flake tins at another discount cigarette and Vape shop a couple months ago.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just picked up four 100g tins of 2012 HH Acadian Perique for $17 each.
Yep. I bought 4 tins of 2012 Acadian Preique, 4 tins of 2012 Vintage Syrian, and small pile of Red Rapparee, Accountant's Mixture, Black Mallory and other Rattray's blends from the mid 1990's from my local B&M at discount.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I wish my local B&M would carry blends other then American OTCs and renamed Lane aromatics. But alas, most of my tobacco purchases are made online. To support my local B&M I do purchase the American OTCs that I smoke.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
How do you know the dates of your tins? Of the 6 tins I have only the Mac Baren has a date on the label - Sept 2017.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How do you know the dates of your tins?
Different makers have dating codes, some just stamp the date the blend was tinned. If you do a Google search on dating "maker X" tins you should find some information, as, for example Dunhill:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/how-date-dunhill-tobacco
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tin-dating-2
here's a general search:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+date+tobacco+tins&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0vI_g3rXcAhXHzlkKHRMgCC0Q1QIIpwEoAA&biw=1412&bih=839

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I have found some hard to find blends in B&M's, and it is always a nice treat. I once was able to stock up on quite a bit of Astleys #44 and #109 that already had been aging on the shelf for over a year. More often than not though, I find B&M's to have bulk tobacco that is old, and mostly focus on cigars with little concern over pipes and pipe tobacco. It is very hit or miss. Also, B&M's are going to have much higher prices as they are paying for much more than the tobacco. Its worth it for some out of stock/discontinued blends, but in my opinion it is hard to beat online retailers.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Finding a tobacco pipe B&M around here is about the same as finding sought-after blends online. Nearest is about 300 miles away and doesn't carry many blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The B&M's that I deal with are nowhere near me, not even in the same state. LA used to be a great place to find pipes and pipe tobaccos. Now it's all cigars so I have no choice but to look elsewhere. You go looking and you will find what you are looking for. The difference is that on line stores sell out in a nanosecond whereas with B&Ms with little to no Internet presence, the hard to find stuff can be around for days, weeks and even months. I have close to 30 lbs of the Esoterica blends that I like. Don't let anyone tell you that contacting B&Ms doesn't work.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
"Don't let anyone tell you that contacting B&Ms doesn't work."
Sablebrush is right. And, to add, you just can't call up and say sell me your best stuff. Add a few tins of something else you smoke, some bulk, or something to show you're not just cherry picking. Build a relationship. That's worked for me because I've got contacts east coast, midwest, and west coast.
And, when I send these folks an e-mail, I always tag it to an earlier e-mail we did business on to show that they have dealt with me before (and will again).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And, to add, you just can't call up and say sell me your best stuff. Add a few tins of something else you smoke, some bulk, or something to show you're not just cherry picking. Build a relationship. That's worked for me because I've got contacts east coast, midwest, and west coast.
Build a relationship. That's key. Like I wrote earlier, I'm a regular customer.

I buy a variety of blends, pipe cleaners, have a conversation, like I used to do with my local B&Ms when they carried pipe tobaccos. One place I had a great conversation about blending with the proprietor. He remembers me when I call. If you're a cherry picker, you can forget about it. Even if they have unobtainium in stock, they won't tell you because you're not a regular repeat customer.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
" building relationships with B&Ms will rarely lead you astray." -- Absolutely +bookoodles, Morgan. Never a bad thing, & very often a good one. It's like stringers in the journalism business; they can be all over the place & provide you with stuff you'd never even know about otherwise, much less have access to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.