Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I love Thanksgiving.
I love the gathering of family and friends to feast and fest and toast each other, and celebrate community. One of the benefits of being a family with folks living on both sides of the Canada/US border means two Thanksgivings per year.
As a young person, Thanksgiving meant a long drive to Indiana for feast and family with my paternal grandparents and aunts and uncles. The soundtrack to these memories is comprised of Duke, Ella, and Satchmo. The aromas which still linger in the back of my mind are black coffee percolating, my Grandma's scalloped potatoes, and the pall of smoke that always hung low over the dining room table after dinner.
As a young adult, Thanksgiving was often celebrated far away from my immediate family, but with the intensity and urgency of friends developing their own traditions. We made merry, and over-consumed everything. We laughed till we cried, told stories that were mostly true, played games and cleaned up the next day with foggy brains and painkillers.
As I approach my middle years, Thanksgiving to me has morphed and evolved into a gentle gathering of friends and family, with flavours of food and drink supplied by all. Communal cooking, in one kitchen, a conjoining of people who truly enjoy each other. We still laugh til we cry. We still have Satchmo providing atmosphere as often as we have Adelle, or Radiohead, or the Boss. Someone still makes granny's scalloped taters, but we've also added to the seasonal menu new items like scratch made pates, or my wife's pumpkin creme brulee. We still enjoy our wine, or beer, or whiskey, and sometimes have one more than we should... but no one ever spends the day after in misery.
This year, I'd like to say a special thanks to all of you. You, who with your posts, your stories, your jokes, your nuggets of truth, have made me a richer man.
Happy Thanksgiving friends.
-- Pat

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Such a wonderful picture you've painted of your Thanksgiving memories, past and present. Happy Thanksgiving, Pat.
Heh Heh Would you please PM me your wife's Pumpkin Creme Brulee recipe? :D

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Boudreaux!
In the spirit of giving, and thanks, I thought I'd post the recipe here:
Makes 8 servings.
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) pumpkin purée

1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla

1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon

1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp (1 mL) ginger

2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream

8 egg yolks

1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar

1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
1- Place eight 6-oz (175 mL) custard cups or ramekins in large pan; set aside.
In large bowl, combine pumpkin purée, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger; set aside.
2- In saucepan, heat cream until steaming. In bowl, whisk egg yolks with granulated sugar; slowly whisk in cream. Whisk into pumpkin mixture. Pour into prepared custard cups. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of cups.
3- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until edge is set but centre still jiggles and knife inserted in centre comes out creamy, about 35 minutes. Remove from water; let cool on racks. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and set, about 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
4- Set fine sieve over bowl; press brown sugar through sieve to eliminate lumps. Pat custards dry; sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
5- Holding small blowtorch so end of flame touches sugar, heat until sugar bubbles and turns dark amber. Chill, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes before serving. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 hours.)
Tips:

Robyn, my wife, is South African, so she adds Cape Gooseberries to the custard after she's poured it into the individual ramekins. These add a lovely tart and sweet pop to the creme brulee.
If you don't have (who doesn't though?) a blow torch, you can also broil the sugar 6 inches (15 cm) from the heat until it turns dark amber. Keep a close eye on the cups because you may need to rearrange them as they broil to evenly darken the sugar.
Mmmmm... hungry.
-- Pat

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
What evocative memories you have shared with us. I can already smell the wafting aromas in the kitchen, This year (a quirk of the calendar) is also the first night of Hanukkah. A double treat for me as well.
Keep posting more memories like this one. Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe, but reading, how everybody is fond of it, I wished, we would.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@peter70 Think Christmas Dinner without the presents.
Since we're talking about awesome food:
Dressing:

2 8x8 pans cooked cornbread

3-4 slices of white bread set out the night before

2-3 cans chicken broth

6 stalks chopped celery with leaves chopped

2-3 cans cream of chicken

salt,pepper,sage to taste

1 med or large onion chopped

1 can cream of celery

buttered pyrex dish, 13x9

2 eggs,beaten
mix bread,onions,celery,eggs(added last) add ingredients slowly

bake at 325-350 degrees til gold on top, usually 45 min to an hour.
Baked mac and cheese:

2 cups uncooked macaroni ( I use barilla b/c it holds up the best)

1/2 stick butter

1 8oz bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese

8 oz cubed velveeta (1/4 of large 2lb loaf)

salt and pepper ( I use kosher salt)

5 cups milk
spray 9x13 pan, put in uncooked mac, cut butter in squares and place evenly over mac, put cheeses evenly over butter and mac, then salt and pepper, pour milk over mix.

bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes. stir mix gently, place back in oven and bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 30 more minutes.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
peter70 said: "We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe, but reading, how everybody is fond of it, I wished, we would."
while each person in your family could not just blithely take an arbitrary day off from work to create your own personal holiday, there's no reason you couldn't establish a family tradition of having a thanksgiving gathering featuring a special dinner on a weekend day ... invite extended family members and perhaps even an unrelated family that has ties to yours ... when my wife and I were young, we moved away from immediate family to take advantage of economic opportunity and that's what we did ... joined with others with whom we'd become friends and even invited extended family who lived within reasonable travel distance ... it worked well for us and I see no reason it couldn't work for you and yours.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
pylorns ... are you having any difficulty finding celery with the leaves still attached ??? I used to use the leaves as well, but the stores hereabouts are all trimming them off prior to putting them out for sale ...
also, you might try adding the yolk of one egg to your recipe in addition to the two whole eggs ... doing so will add richness to that recipe ...

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Pruss
What a beautiful story. You description makes me feel like I'm at your table.
I also love Thanksgiving. All family gets together-argues, laughs, yells, screaming kids, the whole enchilada.
Although a month in advance, I'm looking forward to it. Makes you think of what is really important.
Thank you

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
My wife is Canadian and has a handful of Canadian cousins that live here in SW Washington. We're getting together tomorrow afternoon with their families for the Canadian holiday. Can't wait! Thanks for starting this thread and kick starting the holiday spirit!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I love Thanksgiving also, when I had a son and daughter in the Military it wasn"t unsual to have 5 to 7 exta guests, we always cooked 2 turkeys, one tradional and one fried, sometime also a turkducken, we ate drank, they slept on floor in living room, looking at those fine young men and women I was so happy that my wife and I could make a home away from home for them , it's the best holiday.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Teddy for the cartoons!
And thanks to everyone who has shared some of their Thanksgiving stories, recipes and memories.
I've finished two different chicken liver pates (one sweet with apples, caramelized onions and a little Islay, and the other savoury, with balsamic onions, capers and anchovies) and my wife is baking of the custards for the creme brulees. The house smells glorious.
We're getting perfect weather for our Thanksgiving weekend. Temps in the 60s with glorious sunshine. Thinking I'm going to have to put the pooch on a leash and go for a lunt to the lake later.
Warm wishes.
-- Pat

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a wonderful thread!
Thanks for kickstarting it, Pat. Blessings to all of you good people north of the border.
I'm also grateful for the new recipes and that somebody mentioned a turducken.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.