PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ha! What a double pun we have today! Everybody hold up a bottle of tequila and wish each other a hearty "May the fifth be with you!"

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A good day to drink many fine Mexican beers, including the Modelo Especial -- if you like Virginia flakes, you'll love this -- or my personal favorite, the Modelo Negra.
Even if you might think as do many that Mexico was more stable before the Revolution!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
But, DM, Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with any of the Mexican revolutions. It commemorates a battle in which the Mexican forces defeated the French during the French occupation of Mexico (The Battle of Puebla).
In addition to being a heartening victory for Mexico, it has far-reaching historical import. It prevented the French from intervening in the U.S. Civil War on the side of the Confederacy like they did during the American Revolution. Had they done that, it is difficult to speculate what Britain would have done; despite their loathing for anything the French did, they did very much like having a reliable supply of American cotton for their textile industry. History may have turned out much differently if it weren't for that battle.
EDIT: And also, it's a great excuse for shitloads of people to get smashed.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
aldecaker -
In addition to being a heartening victory for Mexico, it has far-reaching historical import. It prevented the French from intervening in the U.S. Civil War on the side of the Confederacy like they did during the American Revolution.
Matt, in addition, the French were battling for trade rights in America 100 years earlier during the French & Indian Wars.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Having lived in California for about 22 years, Cinco de Mayo was a regular celebration there, probably more than in Mexico itself. Folks just like an excuse to party and drink margaritas. Now retired in Mississippi, my wife and I still enjoy having a little tequila and maybe some goat tacos at a local Mexican restaurant. Or... bring home some Taco Hell burritos and drink a lot of tequila. :D

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks, Dino. I was out of town, and just saw this. I'll take mayo on my ham and cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.