PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
As many of you know, Canadian tobacco prices are quite high. It's always worth running the gamble of a customs tariff grab to order from American online retailers. And when I visit a city in the US, I usually make it a point to try and snag some tobacco.
So, today I went to Grand Forks and some quick googling before I left brought up Happy Harry's Bottle Shop. Their website announced they carry "an exciting selection of pipes, pipe tobacco, and pipe accessories". I was skeptical, but I had to check it out.
I will say their humidor is impressive. I don't know much about cigars, but there were dozens of varieties in all sizes sold by the box and individually. They had a large selection of flavoured cigarillos, and a few bags of RYO tobaccos. It took me a couple moments to find their pipe section.
But there it was. A 1/2 dozen Lane bulks packed in 2oz bags, and a selection of 4 Sutliff Private Stock tins. There was also a couple briar pipes selling for $150 (Made in London, red dot on the stem...I should have jotted down the name) just sitting on the shelf, beside the pipe ashtrays, some cork knockers and a bunch of Czech tools.
I picked up a tin of Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend 957 and blinked at the price. $2.97. That meant an after tax price of $3.17. I bought it and walked out of the store a little stunned.
So, while the selection of tobaccos is small, their prices just cannot be beat. If I were to buy that locally, I'd be paying at least $35 for it, and it seems to be about 1/2 the price online retails are selling Sutliff tobaccos for. So, the next time I visit Grand Forks, I'll definitely pay Happy Harry's a visit. I think this is an experiment for the business, so I'm happy to throw some money and support their way on this endeavor.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Great find and even better pricing. Wondering if you inquired about if they could bring in other tobacco? Not a terribly far drive for me either, will keep them in mind. Thanks for the report.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Being the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada, and Grand Forks about 2.5 hours away, the store was jam packed full of shoppers getting cheap liquor. I didn't see a single unoccupied employee that I felt I could badger about tobacco. Next time!

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
The pipe with the red dot that said "Made in London" are probably Dr Plumbs (rare to see in the USA), and if so, are WAAYY overpriced at $150. They should sell in the $60 - $90 range. And, despite the marking, it is fairly well known that these pipes are actually made in France and distributed by Cadogan.
No wonder Harry's so happy.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Who would have thought North Dakota had something special like that? Sounds like you'll be making regular runs. $35.00 for 50 grams of tobacco? Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.