yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Flag_Canada.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are there Canadian Thanksgiving holiday rituals that are different from the U.S.'s? I'm sure there are. The U.S. holiday seems to rest on the image of Pilgrims and Native Americans feasting together, and the big family meals of turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy, vegetables, and cranberry sauce, etc. What are the traditions in Canada that would tip off an onlooker that they weren't south of the Canadian border? I won't mention the problematical relatives and family discussions at U.S. Thanksgiving.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mike, do you think the selection of a date in October for Canadian Thanksgiving relates to the earlier onset of winter weather in Canada, so that travel to family is easier and safer, or is there some other reason for the October date? In Illinois/USA, it seemed the first snow fell, usually lightly, the day after our Thanksgiving at the end of November. I haven't researched it, but I believe our Thanksgiving was based on Old World harvest feasts and was timed to be after the major work of harvest was done. You can judge this somewhat by the different timings of state and county fairs in the U.S. which tend to be earlier in the north and later in the South. In N.C., the State Fair is the middle of October, coming up, but in the North they are often August or September.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know. In N.C./US we're still waiting for our first cool fall nights. It hangs in around 68 or 70 still. We're waiting. My wife bought me a new day-glo orange fleece jacket.

viesturs

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
We don't have a football game on thanksgiving like in the US but everything else is much the same. I remember always seeing the Bears and Lions or Green Bay playing on US thanksgiving. All about getting together with family.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
MSO: Canadian Thanksgiving's date is not really about safe travels, but about the end of the harvest season.
On January 31, 1957, the Governor General of Canada Vincent Massey issued a proclamation stating: "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the second Monday in October."
Thanksgiving in Canada

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I prefer the three pinch method when stuffing, packing a little tighter every time. The trick is to get the stuffing a little dry as well to bring out the most flavour.
Excellent advice, Frankly.
Happy Days to y'all! No snow forecast for my area for at least a millennium (when global warming gives way to global cooling).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Foods traditionally served at (Canadian) Thanksgiving include roasted turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet corn, various autumn vegetables (mainly various kinds of squashes but also Brussels sprouts), and pumpkin pie. Baked ham and apple pie are also fairly common, and various regional dishes and desserts may also be served, including salmon, wild game, butter tarts, and Nanaimo bars.
OK, leave out the Brussel Sprouts and add lobster, and I am in!
And, importantly, there is football!
In Canadian football, the Canadian Football League holds a nationally televised doubleheader, the Thanksgiving Day Classic. It is one of two weeks in which the league plays on Monday afternoons, the other being the Labour Day Classic. Unlike the Labour Day games, the teams that play on the Thanksgiving Day Classic vary each year; the Montreal Alouettes have traditionally held permanent hosting of the Thanksgiving games in recent years.
Do you Canucks (said lovingly) also play touch football à la President Kennedy? Do the Trudeaux play?

Status
Not open for further replies.