PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
On August 28, 1917, Jacob Kurtzberg was born in the shadows of poverty in New York City where the slum tenements were so close that days would often pass before he felt the light of the sun on his face. As Jack Kirby, he rose to fame as the greatest comic book artist and the major creator of the Marvel Universe.
Today is Jack "King" Kirby's birthday. If you never heard of him, Google him... in a nice way, I mean. Without Jack Kirby, there's no Marvel Universe, no movies with Spider-Man, Avengers, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, X-Men. The Star Wars movies may not have ever been, and certainly not with the story lines and characters they used, since Lucas and Spielberg were heavily influenced by the earlier New Gods comics done by Kirby.
Jack created or co-created more multi-million dollar properties than any man in the history of the world, yet he's virtually unknown by the public who think Stan Lee created all those Marvel characters by his little old lonesome self. Lee didn't. Jack was a very kind man with a prodigious imagination that touched the world. Happy birthday, Jack!

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Almost fifty years ago, I had a history class in which the professor paralleled civilizations throughout the centuries, showing how, at one point, there is a period of great ideas and inventions and then after that, a period of moral decline, fewer new ideas, etc., ultimately leading to the decline or downfall of that civilization.
When I read about a man like Jack Kirby, I think back to that particular concept that the professor presented. While we have many great new inventions and discoveries even today, I wonder how they would match up with things like the creation of the US Constitution, the discovery of electricity, or many of the creative ideas that people like Jack Kirby have had.

May 31, 2012
Great post jiminks!
Thank you.
Long live The King!
Long live the Kirby kosmik krackle!
OmNaFcO.jpg

Os4UtMr.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's a link to some amazing double page splashes of Jack's. Nobody did it better! http://www.flickr.com/photos/65185095@N00/sets/72157623444242645/

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's a link to the Jack Kirby Virtual Museum: http://kirbymuseum.org/

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
They still advertise his art school in current Marvel comics. I have some prints on the wall in my comics room.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Happy birthday Jack. I recently posted the below Einstein quote on a different thread, but I think it merits posting here as well.
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” -- Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.