PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Hello chaps (new here),
Thought I'd show off my handmade pipe by Nils Thomsen, a very interesting pipe maker in East Berlin. Make sure to pop in and visit him if you go to Berlin, beware though he kept me talking for 5 hours on two seperate visits.
xv6p.jpg
dugf.jpg
ic7p.jpg

I was basicly describing my dream pipe to him, and he made it for a very reasonable price. All briar, very nice. Its the largest pipe I own, consuming all of my ring finger. He informed that it is the largest pipe he has made (Germans like the little pipes with the little filters after all :).
Kind Regards,
Herman

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Beautiful piece of work! Although I think if I tried to smoke from a pipe that big, I'd fall over way before I finished :lol:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Pipeherman
That is a massive thing with straight grain and looks like it is well made. Good luck with it.
How do they treat smokers in East Berlin?

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Much better than in ol' England thats for sure. Not sure if you guys face this in the states, but I often get whilst smoking outside the pub, a deep interrogation from random people about smoking a pipe before eventually reciving the question "hey, can I smoke your pipe?", which for me anyway is fustrating. I generally enjoy conversations about pipe smoking with non-pipe smokers in the uk, but when it feels like your getting questioned by the police it isn't so nice.
In Germany and definately Austria pipe smokers are briefly glanced at, and thats about it. What really shocked me was the ease to get pipe products in the Trainstations(hauptbahnhoff), they had tobacconists aimed specifically at pipes and cigars in the trainstation. I can't imagine such a wonderful thing in London's Victoria or Waterloo Train station, thats for sure. I went to Nil's pipe shop in East Berlin (treptower park) spoke to him for 5 hrs on two visits, really welcoming, even invited me to a their meeting every thursday. I faced absolutely no problems smoking in Germany or Austria, I noticed many more pipe smokers also.
It's also noteworthy to mention that many establishments in Germany and Austria allow people to smoke inside, in Britain this is certainly not allowed.
On topic of the size of the bowl - Nils said "You are big guy, you are not one of those little people in the woods, hmm what are they called?" "Elves/Dwarfs?" "Yes, you are not a dwarf".

May 31, 2012
Cool pipe!
I've got lost on Nils page before, almost bought one but didn't, he's got a lot of good stuff and he's very creative, also the estate pipes are reasonably priced...
...most interesting I thought, were his "cooked" pipes, I've never seen anything like that before!
http://www.nilsthomsenpipes.com/spielplatz/spielplatz_10_werkstatt-phoenix-cooked-oilcured.html

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Not sure, but are these the pipes which are treated in some form of sodium solution? If so he did show me one with a 5mm bowl thickness, which he claimed is one of the strongest pipes he has ever smoked. Aparently 30 times on a fishing weekend with no burnouts.
Your certainly right about his prices being reasonable, he was willing to sell me two peterson army mounts for 120 euros
petersonduo02.jpg
, or one Peterson spigot for the same price
peterson-003a.jpg
. I have looked on ebay.etc and seen that most of these spigots are about £200 each. Infact on his site he lists them for hte full price, which shows going and talking to him is the best way to get an almost trade price. I didn't buy these pipes unfortunately, but I think I may have to go back for that spigot. :puffpipe:
He also did me a great deal on a Berlin Design Gotha 57 (20 euros, i believe its worth around 60), which is a lovely little pipe which could itself be considered a spigot, when I get some pictures I might show you guys it.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Great looking pipe. There are some very nice pipes on the link posted above. Thanks for sharing news of how pipe smokers are treated abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.