PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey gang! I finally got around to rolling up some stogies using the WholeLeafTobacco.com kit.
Turns out, it's not that difficult and they taste great! Right out of the gate they are already a good $5-7 cigar, taste-wise.
Here's a pic of the first batch of assorted vitolas:
15%2B-%2B1

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
They look great! There's a guy on another forum that sent me a few of his home rolled sticks and they were a treat. They definitely could have used some rest as they had a good amount of moisture but it was my own lack of patience that sparked the flame. Keep us posted.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
They look great! There's a guy on another forum that sent me a few of his home rolled sticks and they were a treat. They definitely could have used some rest as they had a good amount of moisture but it was my own lack of patience that sparked the flame. Keep us posted.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks guys! It was a great rainy day project ... complete with Cuban music (Mongo Santamaria) and some Rum! :)
I've only smoked one so far and it was very good ... marzipan, old leather and dark currant overtones.

The others will rest for a few months now and I'll report back on these later down the road.
The wrapper is Ecuador Maduro with both Dominican and Nicaraguan fillers.
Virginia would be an interesting addition which would create a much sweeter cigar ... might just try that!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A perique blended cigar sounds REALLY good ... gotta try that.
You can't blame me ... you started this! Some comment about frozen dinners vs fresh ingredients, I think it was? :mrgreen:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I didn't use a mold but did use strips of paper to tighten and form them.
After wrapping into the binder, I wrapped each one in a long strip of paper about 2 inches wide. This is then twisted at the ends to help tighten and form. After one hour, I removed them from the paper and applied the wrapper.
There was a video of this somewhere ... here at about 1:15 into the video:
watch

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0hiu_Cv16I
Awesome Cobguy, here's a good video also on old world style cigar rolling. Entubar all the way.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks gents! I did watch that video and many, many others ... my wife said I was "obsessed" for a few days. :)
Half of the cigars were rolled entubado style and the other half using the book binder method.
Also, I discovered that a pizza cutter is a great tool to replace the Chaveta if you don't have one.
Next time, instead of the kit, I'll order separate, aged leaves to use. Just wanted to be sure first! :wink:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just came across this thread and I'll have to say nice job cobguy!. No way on earth I'll ever attempt to roll my own cigars and I haven't smoked sticks for quite sometime. However, as of late I've taken up smoking some sticks lately in lieu of the pipe just for a change of pace and taste and thoroughly enjoying them. Sometimes ya just gotta take a break and shake things up a tad.

Status
Not open for further replies.