PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Here's the answers:
5/32" tapered.
Ebonite is more expensive but a lot easier to tool.
No it's not necessary but it's helpful.
Delrin.
Patience.
Now, all you have to do is ask the right questions in the right order, and we can close the thread.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm in the process of making my second hand cut stem. In my opinion,and limited experience,making the stummel is easier!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Thanks, the other questions were in taking a stem and adding your own material to it/inside it. Is it possible through softening it to a certain point and which stem material would be best to do it with?
Would splitting the main chamber into two smaller chambers, just for question example, half way down the stem effect the draw, and have an effect on cooling and spreading the smoke with the angle?
Does it make a difference to add "bands" to the stem?
Craig

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've cut exactly two stems in my life, so I'm far from an expert. But from what I've been able to gather from professionals, the ideal stem has a smooth, consistent interior diameter which reduces turbulence and produces a better smoke.
Jeff Gracik has some videos posted on youtube showing how he makes stems. Check them out.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have never made a stem.
But the hypothetical "split" you mentioned sounds like a Radice twin bore (I think)
I guess no way to know but to try it and see!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Got it on the twin bore but now looking for.
Thanks, the other questions were in taking a stem and adding your own material to it/inside it. Is it possible through softening it to a certain point and which stem material would be best to do it with?
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.