Hand Made Stems

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dragonslayer
  • Latest reply from dragonslayer
  1. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone here making there own stems? Have a couple questions if you are.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch

Login to Send PM

Here's the answers:

5/32" tapered.

Ebonite is more expensive but a lot easier to tool.

No it's not necessary but it's helpful.

Delrin.

Patience.

Now, all you have to do is ask the right questions in the right order, and we can close the thread.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. kinny141

kinny141

Login to Send PM

Most amazing response ever... love it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

Yea, that says it all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the process of making my second hand cut stem. In my opinion,and limited experience,making the stummel is easier!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, the other questions were in taking a stem and adding your own material to it/inside it. Is it possible through softening it to a certain point and which stem material would be best to do it with?

Would splitting the main chamber into two smaller chambers, just for question example, half way down the stem effect the draw, and have an effect on cooling and spreading the smoke with the angle?

Does it make a difference to add "bands" to the stem?

Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've cut exactly two stems in my life, so I'm far from an expert. But from what I've been able to gather from professionals, the ideal stem has a smooth, consistent interior diameter which reduces turbulence and produces a better smoke.

Jeff Gracik has some videos posted on youtube showing how he makes stems. Check them out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I understand the basics of stem making and seen all the videos, just seeing if people have tried anything else.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never made a stem.

But the hypothetical "split" you mentioned sounds like a Radice twin bore (I think)

I guess no way to know but to try it and see!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ya Gray, it does sound like what you're describing, Craig, is a twin-bore. I have an old Savinelli twin-bore that I love, but I'm convinced that the twin-bore vulcanite stem is not a better system than a standard single bore vulcanite stem. It can be more of a PITA to clean, though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also hand cut, but haven't done a twin bore, I have a GBD with a twin bore though, very interesting smoke.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got it on the twin bore but now looking for.

Thanks, the other questions were in taking a stem and adding your own material to it/inside it. Is it possible through softening it to a certain point and which stem material would be best to do it with?

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   smokeytay33, peckinpahhombre, woodsroad, gphenry, anthonyrosenthal74, rigmedic1, eightywon, huskysibe, mcitinner1, christiann, tbradsim1, daimyo, lordnoble, cobguy, cmdrmcbragg, crimsonrat, irish, portalhq, kcvet67, hawke, hierophant, instymp, sparks, yaddy306, cosmicfolklore, johnscs, willc, redbeard, pipesmoker66, doctorthoss, dread, lestrout, dottiewarden, smokeybear, zunismoke, wasatch