PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I've been smoking & collecting pipes since 1980. I've always wanted my pipes to be more than just a delivery vehicle for tobacco. A pipe should make a statement, have a personal connection for the smoker. That, in my opinion, is the quintessential reason to smoke a pipe. In December of 2013, I started looking for a pipe to add to my collection. What struck me was the "sameness" of the pipes. Danish style freehands, Meerschaum Eagle claws & various busts...nothing spoke to me.

Then, while browsing on Ebay, I came across a pipe maker who did Meerschaum quality carvings in Briar. I contacted him about making a custom pipe. The two headed eagle Russian Crest. He told me he was busy but he loved the idea and agreed to do it. Today, the pipe arrived. Carved out of a single block of 50 year old briar with a genuine amber stem...Stunning!! I just finished smoking my first bowl as I write this. I was nervous about doing this but now, when I want to add a pipe to my collection, a "bespoke" pipe will be the only way I'll go. Just as with a bespoke suit, once you get one, nothing else will do.

966238_646038355481408_4660081353764263005_o.jpg

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Thank you for the comments. As my father said, a pipe should be functional art Otherwise, you may as well stick with Cigarettes and cigars, lol

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
That looks like somthing Saint Michael would smoke! 8O Wow! What a work of art! I'd almost be afraid to light that beauty. How does it smoke?

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I just finished my first bowl...Best smoking pipe I've got!! The draw is phenomenal!!

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Wow, that is very intricate. Glad to hear it smokes well. I hope you enjoy that for a long time to come.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
HOLY DOUBLE-HEADED EAGLE -- that is an amazing piece. Are there more pics?
Glad to hear it smokes well. That would be a stunning piece if it were meerschaum, but the fact that it's briar makes it that much more unique and special. Congrats!

Mar 31, 2014
8O Holy crap! That is some amazing craftsmanship for something in which you burn stuff. Sounds like you've waited a long time for a pipe of that caliber. I happy for you, nkourilo.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You just made an unforgettable entrance. The pipe you commisioned is beyond the wildest fantasies of many. I must say it's nothing less than spectacular: a pipe fit for Royalty! You also raised the bar on PAD a few notches.
Welcome aboard nkourilo.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Thank you for the nice comments. It's good to be amongst fellow pipe smokers. I've posted a few more pictures of this pipe in my album. This pipe has been in my imagination a long long time and to finally be smoking the "real thing", as they say in the mastercard commercials "priceless"

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Thank you. Good to be here. I've smoked 2 bowls so far & now the pipe is resting. I'm already anxious for the next bowl I can smoke in it. 51 years old & I feel like a kid, lol.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
That is some really great work and what a classic symbol. You see them all over Eastern Europe. But the symbol dates back to 2000 BC. Very well done, beats a naked lady pipe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-headed_eagle

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
The artist who carved the pipe is very talented. I especially like the detail , the Russian Orthodox Cross on the back of the shank and St. George slaying the dragon on the chest shield. I'm not a woodworker but I imagine that was not easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.