PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always enjoy getting the paper catalogs from P&C (Iwan Ries, etc.). On the cover of the P&C catalog

for January 2015 are three Hearth and Home cans of matching tobacco, a Prince Albert match called

Prince Andrew; a Carter Hall match called Chatham Manor; and a Walnut match called Chestnut. Is the

art on the tubs meant as a spoof or as a sincere alternate version of the originals? Especially Prince

Andrew I have to take as a spoof. What do you think?
www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/brands/2070/hearth-home-mid-town-series
These are like $1.79 per ounce, so if you like these blends, it's a bargain, $24.99 a 14 oz. tub.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I think they are sincere, even with the Prince Andrew. The artwork just leaves a bit to be desired.

I think pipe tobacco art is going downhill fast. These guys must be saving a few pennies by not hiring someone that knows marketing. McClelland's new blends, Top Hat, Penmanship, etc.. has tin art that looks like a 9 year old did it with a Sharpie marker. C&D is getting rid of their beautiful cartoon artwork for a more bland design, and now this. SMDH

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I am not a real fan of the Midtown artwork, personally. I guess I prefer the classic, art-deco, embossed and embellished designs of old. I am also not too keen on the plastic tubs. I would much rather they come in tins or bulk bags that can be jarred by the end-puffer. If I were to purchase one, I would probably re-jar the tobacco and re-purpose the plastic jar to something else.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
In the case of "Sweet Cask", Middleton discontinued Sugar Barrel a few months back, so there was definitely an opportunity there... Not sure about the reasoning behind the other clones - H&H has had MATCH blends of several bulk blends in their catalog for a while now, so the practice is nothing new.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the price difference is about five or six bucks per 14 ounce can between the name brand

and the Hearth and Home match. If you are a moderate smoker, a bowl or a few a day, the savings

may not matter, but for the five or six or more bowls a day guy on a budget, it could matter.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The artwork is intentionally derivative, because we wanted to avoid being to close to the original artwork.
Russ

May 31, 2012
I think pipe tobacco art is going downhill fast. These guys must be saving a few pennies by not hiring someone that knows marketing. McClelland's new blends, Top Hat, Penmanship, etc.. has tin art that looks like a 9 year old did it with a Sharpie marker. C&D is getting rid of their beautiful cartoon artwork for a more bland design, and now this. SMDH
So true Cosmic,

it is indeed a sad state of affairs.
There are a few exceptions, but not many.
Note the high buzz created by the new Tsuge tin art, most likely crappy blends but people will buy them just because of the cool artwork, and that's a good thing!
NAR was calling attention to the lack of good contemporary tin art back in 2012,

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2012/12/28/the-sad-decline-of-pipe-tobacco-merchandising.html

but the pisspoor graphic design continues,

(sigh)

:|

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
In the case of "Sweet Cask", Middleton discontinued Sugar Barrel a few months back
Actually, four of the six blends are replacements for discontinued Middleton blends. No one would be surprised if the other two went away.

May 31, 2012
The Spectre tin art is great I think.
pt-s0a0050.png

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Note the high buzz created by the new Tsuge tin art, most likely crappy blends

That's rather presumptuous, don't you think ? I had the Winter's Embrace blend at the meeting the other night and thought it was very good. It was quite dry for an aro and had a light touch with the nut topping. I'm looking forward to trying the English blend. The tin art is outstanding, kudos to them for putting in the effort.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I listened to an interview with Mary from McClealland, and she does all of their tin art. Not that it makes a difference.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Note the high buzz created by the new Tsuge tin art, most likely crappy blends but people will buy them just because of the cool artwork, and that's a good thing!
why would you conclude that they would most likely be crappy blends?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
The H&H tub blends were meant to be replacements or matches to existing blends that have crept up in price. I think that a 14oz tub for $25 is a big savings if you're currently smoking the OTC blends and would get the same enjoyment from the match.
As far as the tub color looking like pool chemicals packaging is a matter of opinion. Quite honestly, pool chemicals never crossed my mind because I wasn't in the mindset.
It would be nice if there was an option to buy a test sampler of all/some of those blends to try. I hate to buy a whole tub only to find it's "not my 14oz of tobacco" if I didnt like it.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Because most aros are crappy?

If you're talking about the typical PG laden "berry cobbler caramel jamoca whole wheat fudge" goopy blends I agree, they are not for me, but there are quality aros out there. Maybe we're arguing about definitions here (is Sextant an aro?), but I wouldn't assume "that they would most likely be crappy blends" when I hadn't even tried them yet.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I dont buy tobacco for how cool the art work appears.i purchase by product description, possibly history, and word of mouth.

A one color print will always cost less at production,and for the blends that are being recreated..this makes sense.

There is nothing stoping one from creating their own

label for application post purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.