PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Really excited about these two prospects and they are very well priced. Anyone have any experience with these yet? They are supposed to be discontinued Sugar Barrel and Walnut dopplegangers. I ran out of Walnut a while ago and only have one tub of Sugar Barrel. I wish I could give them a shot, but I don't think I can commit to 14oz of potential disappointment. They also have four other blends like Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I posted reviews of all the match blends last week. Here's the link: http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/jims-sutliff-match-reviews.44884/
Here's my review of Chestnut:

As many smokers know, Chestnut is a Match for the discontinued Walnut, and both are comprised of many different varieties of tobaccos. In it, I get a light taste of Kentucky, grassy Virginia, some nuttiness and molasses from the burley, a touch of honey from the cavendish, a slight woody note from the Oriental/Turkish. The latakia is a minor addition, but gives a very mild smokey, woody push to the other components. I know Maryland is in here, but I can’t taste it. The topping is mildly sweet. Overall, it has nice subtlety of flavors that meld well together for a mild to medium smoke. Burns well, cool and dry to the finish. What’s the difference between Chestnut and the original? The original sometimes has a little chemical taste from the topping that Chestnut does not, and it could get a little bitter near the end, which Chesnut does not do. The original is a shade sweeter, and a tiny bit nuttier, while Chestnut has just a smidgen more latakia. Otherwise, I can’t tell the difference.
Here's my review of Sweet Cask:

When you see the tub and read the description, you'll know this is a replacement for the recently discontinued Sugar Barrel. This version is a thicker plug cut burley than the original with a slightly brighter Virginia small flake cut. The Virginia has the same minor grass and sweet notes as the original. Sweet Cask is slightly cinnamon spicier than the original. The original is a shade more brown sugary and buttery. This tobacco burns a little slower than the original and keeps a consistent flavor to the finish with no bite and hardly any moisture, though the burley in the original tended to be just a little less obvious at the end. I give this three stars, which is a star more than I rated the original Sugar Barrel, because I think it is a cleaner smoke with a little more flavor.

andmer

Lurker
Dec 30, 2013
Hey Jim, thanks for you reviews! Seems like you've smoked both; is the new P&C tub version of Sugar Barrel the same as the MATCH bulk version they previously have been offering in your opinion?
*edit* P&C said that their tub is blended by Russ, the pre-existing MATCH is not

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I read Jim's original reviews and found that there seemed to be a theme regarding his comparisons to both the originals and the match blends. That is that the Mid Town series is not chemically fragrant nor does it taste artificial. It sounds like the series is going to be a winner and eventually will get sold at it's projected retail price.

I just ordered a tub of Prince Andrew. I saw another set of descriptions at the P&C site with those triangle indicators showing strength, nic, and so forth and its got the strongest rating, plus I do like PA.

P&C had a Saturday 'special', and I ordered a can of Half and Half too. That will probably provide chemicals?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Andmer: I recommend the P&C version if you like the original Sugar Barrel. I really can't recommend the others very highly. I do wonder that at some point, will the inferior version will be replaced by the better one?
Newbroom: It was striking to me that most of the match blends correct some of the flaws of the originals. I smoked nearly all of originals and matches back to back to make sure I was right about the differences. In a few cases, just mentioning differences virtually exaggerates the differences, especially when it came to blends like Crown Achievement, and Walnut. If I had not been so diligent in searching for differences, I'd swear the matches of those blends (and several others) were the originals. I smoked 12 bowls each of CA and the match, and 14 each of Walnut and the match, all in various pipes, until I could find any differences, which, in those cases, were barely worth noting, though I had to do so, of course. In a blind taste test, I wouldn't likely have been able to do it for those two, and a number of others as well.
I think Half and Half does better when it's dried a little. The topping doesn't do much for me, but tastes vary widely among us that you may feel differently about it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just figured I'd get a can while it was dirt cheap, like me. (Half and Half) One more codger blend can't hurt and I'll figure it out. As I recall, it hit me like a cheap cigar in my youth, but, that was when I really didn't know what or how.

Status
Not open for further replies.