PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Since college, I've lived in condos and apartments, all places where mostly singles resided. As such, there was never any trick or treating or holiday decorations to speak of. In my new neighborhood, something undisclosed to me at time of purchase, they take holiday decorating quite seriously. It's one of "those neighborhoods" where others come to see and walk through. I was told by my new neighbor to stock up on candy because kids come from all around. As a kid I remember to this day which houses in my neighborhood were dark on Halloween, meaning don't come here. I don't want to be that guy and so ill join in. I went to Lowe's and Walgreens today and left empty handed... I didn't want the ubiquitous random lights and inflatables. I want a theme of some sort, something cohesive. And there you have it, the full and complete extent of my ideas. Anyone an expert in Halloween decorations? I'm quite poor at the moment so animatronics and live performers are out. For lack of much goings ons, I'd like to make a good first impression. This will be the first occasion to meet my neighbors and don't want to be the guy who didn't try. Thoughts, opinions, or ideas? I do like the idea of going full on darkness vs hokey conservative.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
A cemetery theme? Make some cardboard headstones, get some spider web stuff and a few spooky lights maybe.

Jun 4, 2014
I like stickframers idea of cemetery theme. Simulate a fresh grave by folding a trap in a rectangle and then cover it with a bag or two of mulch. Stick a spade in the ground next to it. Wrap the front door in paper and paint it to make it look like the door to a crypt. Put a flame effect blub in the outside light.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My mother in law is actually a superhot lingerie model... but then again, my wife and her mom both are only imaginary :(

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Cemetery scene sounds like a lot of fun. One of the best kid frighteners I've ever seen was a coffin with a real person in it that would sit up when the kids approached. The person was dressed zombie-ish and didn't even say anything...just sitting up was enough to scare the crap out of folks! :rofl:

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
A couple of limbs coming out of the grave is always a good call.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Light is the best way to make a scene on the cheap. Green/blue shining upward through vegetation. Add scary soundtrack, maybe a jack-o-lantern with one eye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
This would be good
54cfd346823da_-_pumpkin_buried_1010-xl-67872444.jpg

I don't like being told what to do. So, I would probably just set on the porch with a whiskey bottle full of juice and yell at kids to get out of my yard.
"I hate Halloween, teaching your kids to panhandle and such and all of the devil worship stuff. Get out of my yard!!" Just rant and rave, while sloshing the bottle about.
And, when the police show up, just show them the bottle that you have put apple juice in and say, "Dude, this is Halloween, this is my costume, can't a guy get a break? Jeesh!"

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
B479FFA6-3C10-41FF-BBBD-EB12FAA33024.jpg

This is what I did last year. What you can see is a smoke machine and a spider that jumps out at people who walk by.

Status
Not open for further replies.