PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostybird

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
Not sure if this has been covered before, please forgive if it has.

What's the longest you would be willing to leave a partially smoked bowl before you would actually throw the remainder out?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I often smoke part of a bowl and finish it a day or two later. Crude I am... and cheap. But, I find that the tobacco is just fine for me. 8)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Unlike cigars, where if it goes longer than 30 minutes I'll just toss the cigar, because they always taste like ash after sitting more than 30 minutes. With a pipe I'll let it sit for several hours, but if its still sitting their the next day I'll toss it out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If I have an unfinished bowl at the end of the day, it will be my morning smoke.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I press them into little almost round balls and put them in the raisin tray at buffets

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The Pipe, yes, The Pipe, in my car will keep its contents for as long as weeks before I drive again and touch it off.

I first check for spiders.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've never had much success with DGT. The longest I'm prepared to leave a bowl is a couple of hours. Anything longer and the tobacco just tastes of nothing in particular.
Regards,
Jay.

I've found pipes that I thought were lost to me, and they've had half finished bowls, so I just fire 'em up and try to guess what it was I was smoking when I lost it. It's a great exercise for the taste buds. But, I don't recommend it for estate pipes that you get from ebay that still have some in it. Not everyone smokes tobacco. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Anything left over gets smoked first in the morning.

The taste varies from mediocre to poor.

I still buy tobacco yet I have enough for two lifetimes.

The only one who cares about my economy is me.

Only God is watching and is unlikely to ever say anything about any of this.

I think I might start dumping leftovers if they taste poor.

Thank you for this opportunity to examine my values.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
With me it depends on the type of leaf. Virginias are good a day or two later. Latakia doesn't set well with me longer then a few hours. Burley works well for overnight but then it all depends on the blend. Aromatics never set overnight, they get too bitter. I rarely DGT but when I do it's usually a Virginia flake or broken flake.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Unlike cigars, where if it goes longer than 30 minutes I'll just toss the cigar, because they always taste like ash after sitting more than 30 minutes.
If you are not going to smoke the cigar, let it completely go out, blow some air through it, cut it behind the ashline, blow again. Don't put it into your humidor. You are welcome.
No tobacco should be wasted ~Native American Proverb

rostybird

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
Thanks guys for the info and the humor. I now feel Ok about leaving a half smoked bowl laying around, something I would never do when I was smoking cigars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't find some drying in tobacco a bad thing. It keeps surprisingly well for quite a while. On the other hand, I like to keep my pipes in rotation, so I always finish up a smoke the next day or two before I pack another pipe, and clean out the used one. Tobacco can sit around in a ceramic bowl where I mix it for some weeks and still be entirely smokable. I don't recommend this, and it does kill flavors in some blends, but often it is just fine, maybe a little different, maybe improved depending on your mood. Moisture can be a fetish. Most short-term drying is no problem.

Reactions: UncleRasta

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Duration is no matter to me. If it's in the pipe, I'll smoke it...one, two, three days, etc. One thing I do though is remove a filter (if so equipped) and or remove the stem to make sure air circulates within the pipe/stem/filter to dry residual moisture.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Up to quite a few days. I often have up to a half dozen unfinished bowls as when I set out, I fill a new bowl. I've never had an unpleasant smoke this way, and often one that's enhanced.

Reactions: UncleRasta

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I've smoked 'em after a couple days. Depends on which tobacco I was smoking and my mood. The cobs I find in my car that have been sitting half smoked for a week or so, I just dump and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.