PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
Well I just finished the pouch of Half and Half I bought a few months ago. I have to say, I really like the stuff. While it doesn't contain the highest quality tobacco, it does deliver a flavorful and consistent smoke. It is slightly sweet and delicious down to the bottom of the bowl. It is not complex, but I didn't think it was overly simple neither. It always provides a good smoke that requires little attention. Good for lunting around town or just sitting down and enjoying some tea. It is also easy on the wallet.
I can't find anything negative to say about it. It is good for what it is and I will definitely have plenty of bowls of it in the future.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Ironically I bumped into another photographer friend of mine yesterday and discovered he's a pipe smoker (What are the odds that two different photographers in the same city covering the same event, smoke pipes)!. He is strictly a half and half kind of guy as I discovered, and after reading this post, I think I might try some. Maybe I'll trade him a few oz. of my virginia/burley for his half and half...

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have been adding a little bit of Mac Baren's Vanilla Creme to my Half&Half. It works really well.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I think I might be the odd man out. I didn't care for Half&Half at all. It just had a really odd taste that was sort of off putting and not pleasant. In fact, its the only tobacco in 12 years of pipe smoking that I actually tossed in the garbage. Maybe I just bought a bad pouch?

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I like to mix some Carter Hall with Five Brothers. It's a shame so many turn their noses at the codger blends, but I think some just don't approach them with the right attitude. They expect a fine wine and are disappointed when they get beer. Shutterbug, I highly recommend you try some. There's nothing I can add that hasn't been said thousands of times by all the folks who like codger blends. They are great for what they are and that is a simple, but good smoke.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
When I first started smoking, back in the 60's, one of my co-workers smoked Half & Half mixed with Rum & Maple. Tried it myself but didn't like it. Tried H&H alone and discovered that was what I didn't like. Looked it up a few years back and discovered it apparently has a licorice casing. Cannot stand licorice so it's no wonder I didn't like it....

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I agree with you, appointed, and thanks for posting this.
Half & Half, like the other "codger" OTC non-aromatic burley blends, get a bad rap from some puffers, but for what they are, they all deliver a good smoke.

+1, good stuff!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I smoked Half and Half for 29 years (almost exclusively) until I took blending on my own very seriously with (the late) Craig Tarler's (C&D) help. Now, I only smoke the three Captain Bob's series of blends that we created together. Also, there are just a few other blends that I like including Half and Half and that I smoke now and then. Having been a dedicated smoker of Half and Half, I had a real problem when they removed deer-tongue (an herb) from the blend. It just is not the same as it had been. So, I now add a bit of deer-tongue back in it when I buy it! Now it is the same as it was whenever I desire it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Half and Half is one of the OTC codger blends that I enjoy, along with Granger and PA.

I have a pouch of CH on hand I will try. Half and Half has a little more complexity than

Granger, a little more going on than some others. It's not like a Dunhill blend, but no

one expects that. Nice take-along tobacco for travel or yard work, etc.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I love Half and Half a lot, its become a go to of mine. Cheap and tastes good and burns great for me.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
As I had stated in another post, I recently tried Carter Hall and found it to be quite a decent smoke. After that I bought some Prince Albert, and while I mostly enjoy the taste, I get a weird creosote taste by the end of the bowl. Now I guess I need to add Half and Half to the mix to see if I enjoy it or not. My wife is going to be shaking her head at another tobacco purchase, but at least the TAD is cheaper than it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.