PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I thought I might like this because the package says "Burley and Bright Tobacco". But it's flavored. It doesn't mention that on the pouch. I smoked a bowl in a Briar, then in a Cob. It's bland and slightly mentholy. I next mixed it with a mix I made of Prince Albert and Carter Hall, which is better, but it still gives that menthol sensation. So H&H goes in my junk tobacco jar.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Back in the 70's, it was among one of my favorites. Now, big NO. Bought a tub and gifted it away. To far from the original for me. Would love to find a match that is as good for the "Barking Dog" mixture from that era, was one of my favorites...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have, and smoke, some vintage American Tobacco Company-manufactured Half and Half, and in my opinion the current iteration produced by Scandinavian Tobacco Group is not even remotely close! Apparently something was "lost in the translation" in their version.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
maxx, I agree the burley and bright would probably be a good blend left alone, but that flavoring throws it off. I think PC has about the best tub tobacco right now in its Midtown series. I've really enjoyed Chestnut, the only non-aro in the series. Carter Hall and Prince Albert seem to the best of the old standbys.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The H&H of yore had deer tongue in it so that's the biggest difference from today's blend. I've been smoking C&D Gentleman Caller for years because it reminds me of the old H&H.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
I have a straight burley blend with no mention of any flavoring and I also detect a mentholy note. Perhaps it is naturally occurring?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm trying to make my way through a pouch that was produced in 2004 by Scandinavian Tobacco Group. It's very mundane flavor wise. Very bland. I can see why people use it to cut other blends. I'll never buy it again myself.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I didn't care that much for H&H, but I still have a little mid-20s version, which is pretty darn good. Very little topping, mostly pure tobacco, though that topping may have faded some over time as I notice only a minute amount of it. The burley and Va. are nice and mildly sweet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, does anyone out there really love the current version of Half and Half? I don't, but maybe some do.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I've been smoking my way through some of the codger blends of late. Half & Half is the only one so far that I've genuinely disliked.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
If I didn't have CH, PA, and SWR easily available I might smoke more Half and Half. Smoked a pouch recently and thought it was ok, but not wonderful.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I recently picked up a pouch of Half and Half using the $1 coupon that the Scandinavian Tobacco Group sent out. Been slowly working my way through it and so far I really like it. I don't recall trying the "old" version . This newer iteration is cased but I don't find that unpleasant. Besides, most of the OTC type tobaccos burn so well it's easy to mindlessly, and pleasantly puff away with no effort. Pleasant room note too. I'll buy this again.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Interesting to note the differing tastes. De gustibus, and all that. I've learned to love the new Half and Half. I disliked the old iteration.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Half the time I can smoke it, half the time I just dump the bowl. Aptly named. (And that from a guy who ain't even picky).

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I think it is flavored with anise. I have not tried the older versions but a recent pouch, 5 years ago or so, was all I wanted to stand; the rest went to the circular bin.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Every time I order from P&C, I try to grab something I've never tried before to add to my order. My last three have been a swing and a miss, and could barely finish them: Velvet, Half and Half, and SWR regular. Which is weird, because I do like codger blends as a rule. Hell, I even used to smoke Bond Street when it was commonly available in drugstores.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Just picked up a pouch of it today and upon seeing this thread remembered a jar from a few months ago.I just dug it out and tried it again. I find it to have a slight cherry note to it, burns good and no bite. There are lots of aromatics in my cabinet that I'm trying to work through that I'll never buy again but this could be a decent mellow change in the rotation once in awhile.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My dad's pipe smoking buddy used to say they called it Half and Half because it was half tobacco and half horse shit. After that I never could get motivated to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.