PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joel

Lurker
Jun 9, 2013
I'm enjoying Half&Half with the additions of 5 Bros. for added "oomph". I was reading that the orginal Half&Half had deer tounge added which has since been ommitted. Has anyone added deer tounge to the present day Half&Half?

If so how much would you recommend be added to 1.5 oz. pouch?---THANKS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Half-and-Half already has an aromatic some have identified (or guessed) as being licorice.

Is it known what the dressing is? If it is licorice, is it a real root extract or synthetic?

As a child, at my father's encouragement, we used to buy licorice root, the actual herbal

item, at the pharmacy and suck it as a candy. It looked a little like the roots of English

ivy, maybe a little coarser grain bark. I think for blending, I would choose an OTC with

subtler or no discernible dressing. That's the problem with jazzing up Granger. It is

already aromatic, to a slight degree. Lane's Burley without Bite seems to be a somewhat

basic Burley for blending. Deer tongue, by reports here on Forums, isn't to most peoples'

taste. Use sparingly, at least to start.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Deer tongue is something I like in a blend when I want somethinig on the sweet side. I always have C&D's Gentleman Caller in my rotation because it reminds me of the old H&H.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
In answer to the question of adding deer-tongue to a pouch of Half and Half:
Add one-half teaspoon to a pouch of Half and Half and mix it well. The top dressing of Half and Half is a combination of sauces. In my opinion, I came close to it years ago by mixing half Burley with Half Gold Virginia. I mixed a sauce consisting of liquid cinnamon and caramel and sprinkled a small amount of deer-tongue. While it was not an exact knock-off, I really enjoyed it a lot.
It's easy to add too much deer-tongue. So go lightly. You can always add more.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
So what is deer tongue? Did a search and only came up with a drug site which mentioned coumarin. I am assuming coumarin is used onblood clotting meds like coumadin.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Deer-Tongue is an Herb. It is very expensive and hard to come by. Cornell & Diehl has a supply of it. The late, Craig Tarler, of C&D told me they guard it with their life! Its use was common many years ago in pipe tobacco. It imparts a flavor of cinnamon-apple (in my opinion). However, it has become increasingly difficult to get by pipe tobacco manufacturers. And, it is quite expensive. I recommend Gentleman Caller by C&D if you want to try a deer-tongue blend. I truly enjoy it now and then. But, it does "ghost" your pipe. So, be aware and use a dedicated pipe for any blend containing deer-tongue.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I've been substituting Deer's Tongue with a pinch or two of MacBaren's Vanilla Cream in my Half&Half bowl. It is a wonderful combination.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Half & Half goes pretty well on its own, everything said and done. It's not bad to mix a little,

but most of us find it satisfying on its own, a plainspoken OTC.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Half & Half goes pretty well on its own, everything said and done. It's not bad to mix a little,

but most of us find it satisfying on its own, a plainspoken OTC.
mso489,
I still smoke Half and Half now and then and enjoy it. But, I do add a little deer-tongue to bring it back to the "old days". I also smoke Iwan Ries Three Star (Blue - the original Three Star Blend). Three Star was one of the inspirations to my creation of C&D's Captain Bob's Blend. And, I stll enjoy it.
On a daily basis I smoke the three C&D Captain Bob's Series blends that I created with the help of the late Craig Tarler. Those are my go-to tobacco's. Other blends I smoke include Milan's Buddy's Blend, Triple Crown and Uhle's Golden Shag. I also enjoy Orlik Golden Sliced once in a while.
As you can see, I have a very broad taste range and I do believe in dedicating specific pipes to specific (or similar) blends. That does have its rewards. I have 42 pipes. Twenty of them are Bob Hayes Originals. So, you need more pipes as you find favorites. You do want to avoid "ghosting flavors". Or, if you do not have lots of pipes, I suggest that you give the pipes that you do have, plenty of rest before changing blends in them. You will be rewarded.

click to enlarge

Status
Not open for further replies.