PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My local grocery store started carrying Half & Half again, so as an impulse buy I bought a pouch. I don't remember the last time I tried it, but I'm pretty sure I threw away more of it than I smoked. I decided to give it another go, though, for several reasons. I tend to really like codger burleys in a cob; I have heard that the manufacturer changed and the current iteration is better; I think my brain is trying to get me used to drugstore blends in case the FDA thing goes to worst case scenario...
Anyway, I liked it much more this go-round. Instead of having an unpleasant taste, it just has a very plain taste. I find it not unacceptable, just super-plain. Light tobacco taste that has a topping, but not much. Probably not going to become one of my "go-to" blends, but a reasonable substitute if I were not able to find my other codger burleys. Lane Ready Rubbed is MUCH more to my liking, but not available on the shelf here, and may be going away soon. CH and PA are available on the shelf here, but as a last resort, I would smoke Half & Half.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
H&H is one of the many blends that went through changes over the years. When I started smoking it, it had deer tongue in the blend. I'm not sure when that disappeared and was replaced by some other artificial flavoring. Now, I have not had any recently so maybe they decided to get closer to what it was 40 years ago. That would be a good thing.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
When I started smoking a pipe a few years ago, I used to smoke half and half. Shortly after that I discovered Carter Hall. Game over.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had some about four or five years ago. First it tasted pretty good, nice old burley blend. But then it kept tasting a little harsh and gave some tongue bite, nothing terrible, but with not enough pleasant in return. If it's been tweaked, that may be good. I think I'll stick with my non-aros and a few more artfully blended aros for now.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I had a similar experience revisting H&H after some years. At one time, a veteran pipesmoker (you know, the kind who just called it smoking a pipe, not "a hobby") told me it was called Half and Half because it was 50% horse manure and 50% cow manure. I tried some and agreed wholeheartedly.
Then some years later I was out of town and ran out of tobacco and reluctantly picked up a pouch of H&H at a drugstore. This time I came to the conclusion my original opinion was far too harsh, that it probably didn't contain cow manure at all.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
In the 1970's it was one of my favorites. Tried some a couple years ago(bought a tub), and hated it! Gave the tub away to a homeless guy I knew...

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I like Half & Half. I don't love it, but I like it. It's a pleasant enough smoke for mowing the lawn, though it falls apart in the third act. I rarely smoke this to the bottom of the bowl. At least in my experience, it's better in a cob than in a briar.
I like it best from the tub, after the seal is popped and the tub is left in a cabinet for three or four years. I wouldn't say the stuff ages, but it dries and mellows out and takes on a nice spicy-honey flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
alexnorth, go back to the "Tobacco Legislation" threads and review the new FDA regulations. This has been a continual discussion on Forums for months. You have to sign on more often.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Got a batch of the "old" codger blends. Half&Half,Carter Hall, Prince Albert,and Sir Walter Raleigh. Got ta pick up a few more . All are pretty good. Staying away from Middleton Cherry Blend,Borcom Riff and some others I had bad experiences with in my youth. ;-0

Status
Not open for further replies.