PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Halcyon II wax may be great for briers... but I wouldn't recommend it be put on a meerschaum! Nothing

but bees wax for the White Goddess....

The makers advise using it to make your meerschaum pipe shine, but it'll seal the pores, IMHO.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Top is our resident Meer expert. I would trust his wisdom in this. I have no experience in either. I am letting my meers color naturally and am not trying to speed up the process. I do polish them with the inside of my t-shirt when I am done so I don't leave any ash or finger prints.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I must 'bow' to Fred when it comes to being an expert, but the compliment is appreciated eaglerico. (I haven't

seen anything from Fred in a while)....

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
It's great for rusticated briars and the Paragon Wax for smooth briars. Bees Wax for Meerschaums.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I agree with the posts above, beeswax...I have an estate meer to restore that I haven't touched yet, but I'll be using beeswax for it.
Just a personal observation, I actually like Halcyon II on smooth briars as well. I just tried it recently, worked pretty good. I may just order Halcyon II alone going forward. Although I do like Paragon, most of my pipes aren't smooth anyways...

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Thanks for the input, friends. I was thinking of Halcyon to protect the meer, not to assist in coloring. By the way, Fred can usually be "found" at the All Things Meerschaum social group at Smokers Forum. Lots of great info there.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I found an article where Fred references using Halcyon II or beeswax on a figural meer to protect it. Interesting. I'm going to do more reading on the subject...

Status
Not open for further replies.