PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I just got a jar of the Halcyon2 and Paragon pipe wax from fine pipes.

Let me say this. this is some good stuff no buffer needed. I would like to see what this stuff could do with a buffer. Heres the satas for each. Halycon 2 for sandblasted or rustacated pipes.

Our original product (Halcyon I) contained a formula that had been developed by technicians at the British Museum, and had won enthusiastic acceptance in the areas of antique furniture restoration and art conservation. Tested for 30 years in leading museums around the world, that formula was found to be superior in many ways to carnauba wax, and safer for the material on which it is applied. Moreover, it turned out to have a wide range of other uses in the home, studio and workshop. And because it could be applied in such small quantities, it was very economical.
The original Halcyon was well received by our customers. But after studying its formula, we found we could improve it in two significant ways for use by pipe smokers and collectors: first, we managed to find a blend of waxes that has a melting point that is 30 degrees higher than carnauba--nearly 200 degrees. This helps the wax to survive the heat of pipe smoking. Moreover, this new blend is harder and more durable than the old formula. Next, we found a carrier for the waxes that is quite expensive, but very highly refined, and less flammable than the older one. Best of all, has virtually no odor--less than .02% aromatic hydrocarbons. We are now blending, processing and packing this wax in-house. Halcyon II has shown itself to be notably superior in performance to Halcyon, while just as economical. It too can be used on woodwork, leather, violins and guitars, drill bits and fine machinery and many other materials--even computer screens.
Paragon wax for smooth pipes.

We developed Paragon in response to the feedback we received from our original Halcyon customers. They reported that while Halcyon gave a great finish on pipes and stems, carnauba applied with a buffing wheel provided a harder, longer lasting shine on smooth pipes. We began to investigate the physical chemistry of these waxes and soon realized why: carnauba is almost 9% harder than the waxes we were using in Halcyon II. Moreover, it is very viscous, so when applied on the wheel, it tends to fill in the tiny scratches and surface irregularities inevitably found on smooth surfaces, even after careful sanding and buffing.
So we began to develop a new blend, one that could be applied and polished by hand like Halcyon and had great temperature resistance, but provided a shine that was more brilliant and longer lasting than carnauba. We first discovered a "super" microcrystalline wax with very high molecular weight that was five times harder than carnauba, and had a melting point that was 100% higher. After much experimentation and blending with different solvents and natural waxes, we arrived at the current formulation for Paragon.
Its melting point is 228 degree F., 36% higher than carnauba alone and 11% higher than Halcyon II. It forms a thin, flexible yet tough coating on the surface of the wood, a coating that is nearly 30% harder than carnauba. Thus it resists abrasion from handling, repels moisture, and is far more effective in preventing oxidation, especially important for stems. It gives a deep, rich shine that is equal or superior to carnauba without a buffing wheel. It can be used on any smooth surface, including marble, steel, silver, ivory, meerschaum, glass, plastic, etc. However, because of its unusual hardness, it is not appropriate for leather or other textured materials, nor for sandblasted or rusticated pipes. For these, we continue to recommend Halcyon II.
Paragon is quite thick at room temperature, and should be applied with a soft cloth in small quantities. Shortly after application it will form a haze over the surface. At that point, it should be polished with a soft, lint free cloth (a microfiber polishing cloth is ideal but an old T-shirt works fine) to bring out a brilliant shine. Additional applications improve the shine and provide greater protection. A clean buffing wheel turning at slow speeds may be used as well, as long as it has not been used for any other wax, and is followed by hand polishing with a cloth.
I will say this the paragon wax I think is way better then carnauba wax I believe this with a buffing wheel would out do any factory shine done with carnauba wax. and at 5 bucks for a 1 oz jar of the Halcyon2 wax and 7 bucks for a oz jar of the Paragon wax how can one go wrong as it takes a little dab to do a pipe.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have a friend who is a wood worker and has uesed it on small stuff like jewlery boxes picture frames hes made thats how I found out about it. The paragon I think is the best of the 2 but its really not fit for a sandblasted or rustacated pipe as it would just stick in the groovs.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
It is very good stuff. Before I got my buffer, I used them for my pipes.
I did try to use Halcyon with the buffer at varying speeds. The results weren't too appealing. :rofl: Of course, I was less experienced with the buffer back then, so I might have to try again.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Yeah the halycon I dont think would work well with the buffer. Paragon wax though I think would be most exelent with the buffer

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have both, but haven't tried them with the buffer. I use them occasionally. I still think the buffer & carnuba gives the deepest and a long lasting shine.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I use the Paragon Wax, and to buff it out I have a battery powered shoe polisher. I think the results are fantastic.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for the information. I have been wondering on types of waxes out there and not Im all set. Ordering some now.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Available here-- http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/
Seems like I've heard that Iwan Ries carries it also.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Reading the description of the Halcon II wax as per the link eJames provided, it says that it's also used on stems?
Who waxes their stems? I thought most people relied on some sort of oil for the stems.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have used both the Halcyon and Paragon on stems. Oil--IMO-- has no business on pipes. The Paragon seems better on stems to me.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I have been using Halcyon II over the past year and am very pleased with it on all of my pipes. The little jar lasts forever! I will say that the shine is not long lasting. Once I have smoked a pipe once or twice, it really could use another application. I should qualify that statement as I hold my pipes rather than clench when I smoke. Eventually I'll give Paragon a whirl - sounds like a longer lasting shine is provided by that product.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Just don't use any Petroleum-Based wax on your pipes... you will taste Petroleum! Not good! I'm from the old school and stick with Carnauba and the wheel, only. It doesn't last that long, but it sure is fun to shine them up now and then. I would consider the suggestions offered here, but I must learn more about it. I welcome any information provided. Thanks.
Below I have shined up four new pipes bought from Bob Hayes at the last Chicago Pipe Show I attended. Not that they needed any shine as they were unsmoked. But, I had a new buffing wheel and could not resist the temptation to add shine on shine. I love Carnauba wax bars!
Now, you must consider that we had landed from our flight to and from Chicago in the plane that I fly. As such, I had a bit more than a shine on my pipes! We had a wee bit of Scotch, too (after landing)!

click pic to enlarge

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I use the paragon with my dremel tool to great effect. I am going to order the Halcyon2 soon. Ed is correct that finepipes.com and Iwan Ries carry these products. I picked up my paragon locally at pipesandcigars.com.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have been using that Obsidian Oil with pretty fair results on my stems, but it seems to be better for preserving stems than cleaning up refurbs. My refurbs come out much better with elbow grease and micro mesh.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have been using Halcyon II over the past year and am very pleased with it on all of my pipes. The little jar lasts forever! I will say that the shine is not long lasting. Once I have smoked a pipe once or twice, it really could use another application. I should qualify that statement as I hold my pipes rather than clench when I smoke. Eventually I'll give Paragon a whirl - sounds like a longer lasting shine is provided by that product.
I have found that to be the case also. But have found that I can hit it with a clean wheel on the buffer and bring back the shine,without another application,or do a quick buffing by hand with a Microfiber cloth. Paragon seems to me to hold up better,so I use the Halcyon II only on rusticated pipes.I seldom use carnuba anymore,usually only on the pipes I want to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.