PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I got my order with this in it I must say with all the talk and recomendations and despite always being sold out when I place my order I was dissapointed. I thought it would be someting great.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Dont get me wrong Its ok and its something Ied keep around I was just expecting something different then what it was.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I love it like Hobie loves Penzance we all have diffrent tastebuds give it some age and try it later . BTW what have you been smoking?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I smoke mostly VA and VA/PERS. In this round I have been smoking HOTW Escudo and Orlik. HOTW just falls short to me, I would like something a bit sweeter if you could think of anything

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
C&D's Manhatten Afternoon and have you tried McCrainnies Red Ribbon?
Never tried Manhattan Afternoon, I have tried Red Ribbon, you actually sent me a sample pawpaw, I like it, but I think I smoked it too fast and it bit pretty hard, I have been thinking about trying it again. Manhattan afternoon sounds good though

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I am not too well versed in C&D blends, a few have caught my eye, briar fox is one that I can remember, but There are just so many I havent been able to pick one to try

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
English and balkin blends.
Virginias are a whole different critter. I had to learn to appreciate them when I, a confirmed latakia guy,started smoking them. They are much more subtle. HotW is a lovely, lovely smoke. I had a nice bowl today. :puffy:

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
@jud
I am a VA guy through and through, but I just the HotW is good, just not GREAT. I smoke it, I think it is pretty tasty just not the best thing out there. It seems so revered that you over exemplify it in your head and its a disappointment when you actually try it

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It seems so revered that you over exemplify it in your head and its a disappointment when you actually try it
I think this is quite common, actually. We hear wonderful things about a blend, and paint some marvelous picture in our heads. When we buy the blend, and it doesn't live up to our expectations, we are disappointed.

HotW is listed as a 3 star blend at tobaccoreviews.com (with 170 reviews). So the consensus is, as you day,that it is a very good blend, not a great blend. I would tend to agree; I like it a lot, but I have many more tins of Red Ribbon aging in my cellar than of HotW. :puffy:

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
HOTW in my opinion is a great blend. However everything in this hobby is subject to taste, and tastes change. I use to love Dunhill Nightcap, I mean smoke 4-5 bowls of the stuff a day. Now I still like it but I don't "love" it. HOTW is the same, for me right now it is the best all around blend. In 5 years, or maybe 3 months it will not be, but it is still quality, made with great leaf. I think a lot of blends get blown out of proportion, Penzance, and Squadron Leader, Escudo lately on here. I love all three, but for someone who has never smoked Penzance, when they finally get the chance I would venture a guess that they might be disappointed. Everyone is always looking for better, and that is human nature, if you smoke HOTW it might not be your best, but it will not be a waste of money. If it is not right at first jar it, ad smoke it in a year. You will be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.