PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
This has become my go to smoke and this week when I bought my tin I got a cool lil booklet just under the pop top from Rattray's of Scotland it list all of thier blends and describes them and for some reason it list the ingredients in german. I was thinking Hal was a straight VA but when I looked at the german part it list
Per Hand zerriebener Flake aus dunklem,suBem Virginia,Fired Kentuck und einem Hauch wurz Perique
So FYI it aint a straight VA.It also states the name comes from the novel "The Fair Maid of Perth" it was the armourer who was a man that had "a most unusual share of strength"

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It also states the name comes from the novel "The Fair Maid of Perth" it was the armourer who was a man that had "a most unusual share of strength"
Rattray's was originally in Perth,of course. There are Scottish references in the names of several blends. :puffy:

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
HOTW = Ambrosia from the pipe tobacco gods... Simply my favorite blend. I am going to try and put 12 tins up, and open 1 a year for 12 years to see the difference in aging. Of course this will not replace the constantly open tin in my rotation!

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
We had this at my pipe club last month. I really enjoyed it, although i didn't realise it wasn't just a VaPer!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am going to try and put 12 tins up, and open 1 a year for 12 years to see the difference in aging.
That should be an interesting experiment. Everything I have ever read on the subject says that the aging process is most noticeable at 5 year intervals. TBH, I haven't really tried anything myself, just gone with 5 years. I have, however, purchased and smoked some tins that were already at 5 years or more. (I don't seek out this stuff; these were at a "smoke shop" that had tried to do some premium tobacco, but hadn't been successful.) :puffy:

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
but the level of Perique in it is very small.
Really? The perique seemed really strong when I tried this a month or so ago and it's what turned me off the blend. I was thinking I just wasn't a VAPer fan...

pcharters

Lurker
Mar 17, 2012
I can answer the question about the German content in the little booklet in a Rattray's tin of "Hal O' The Wynd". I live in Canada in the Haliburton area. My German friend and his wife, who have a cottage on our lake, come twice a year because they love this area of wilderness. He and his wife each bring me two tins of "Hal O' The Wynd" from Germany each time they come. Obviously, this tobacco is available in Germany and, I suspect, there is a good market for it there.
For decades, my favourite tobacco was St. Bruno Flake in the tin but it disappeared from the market. I have looked for replacements and "Hal O' The Wynd" was suggested. It's close but not "the real thing". I have one tin of St. Bruno left. I don't know why I am saving it; I am in my late seventies and so should think about smoking before something happens and I no longer can.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi pcharters! And welcome to the forums. I'm all for smoking 'em while I can. I think Charles Rattray advocated smoking his blends as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.