PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Just finishing my first bowl of Hal o' the Wynd, and I'm impressed. I bought the tin a few months ago at a B&M because the lid was well yellowed and I figured it had a bit of age on it. I'm a big fan of Marlin Flake, so I wanted to try another Rattray Virginia. A lot of the reviews I read suggested it's fairly strong, but I'm not really noticing that, and I think my palate has always been more for lighter blends. It is, however, full flavored. The perique is front and center, but in flavor I get way more fruitiness with the spice on the retrohale and a little zip in the back of my throat. No harshness at all, in fact very smooth. I'm not a fan of too much Kentucky, and in this blend it's maintaining a very well-behaved earthiness. The virginias are sweet and tangy, with plenty of that note from the reds I can only describe as malty. But it's the perique that's really doing it for me with a nice round fruitiness. This pipe has a tall bowl of medium diameter (Savinelli 707 ks), but I think this blend might be better in a pot, so maybe I'll try that later tonight. Oh well, yet another blend to put on the cellar list.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
After five years and a closet full of different blends I'll probably never finish, Hal o' the Wynd, Escudo and Orlik are the three I've settled on as my go to blends. I prefer HotW in an old Shelldrake bent bulldog I picked up at an antique store. It's bowl dimensions are about identical to a Savinelli 320. I find it brings out a deep richness to the flavor much more than a smaller bowl. Just my humble opinion, though.

Glad you're enjoying it!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
It's one of my favourites and I too don't think it's as strong as the description or others suggest. I always have some on standby. If you like that and Marlin Flake give Brown Clunee and Old Gowrie a go.
Forgive me but your title compels me to point out that wynd is not wind. A wynd is a type of narrow path. The title of this stuff could just as easily be Hal of the Narrow Path/Lane. Apologies If you are aware of this but I see this mistake repeatedly when it comes to this blend and its title so I am pointing this out to others who may think wynd refers to the blowing wind. It doesn't.
Edit: I see the title has been changed but will leave this in anyway.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
HOTW is a favorite blend, though I haven't smoked it for a few years. I realized that I was running through my stash and am letting the remaining cans age. It's good fresh, but it's spectacular with a few years on it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I enjoy mixing this one with Cotton Boll Twist. It is lovely on its own as well, sort of like a junior partner to the 'Yacht.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I love all of the Rattray's 'famous four', Marlin Flake, Hal 'O The Wynd, Brown Clunee and Old Gowrie. They are very similar in taste to me but of the four I think Marlin Flake just pips the other three...but only just.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.