Hairline crack inside of bowl: is the pipe ruined?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
I have a very small (small bowl and thin walls) billiard. The other day, I noticed that the outside of the bowl wasn't round--there was a slight change in the curvature of the outside. When I looked in the bowl, there was a hairline crack running down from the rim.
It doesn't look big enough to get pipe mud into it.
Is there something I can do to fix it (this is not an expensive pipe, I'm not interested in dropping significant money on this).
Is the pipe ruined?
Is it safe to keep smoking it (maybe the crack will fill in with cake?) or will it suddenly fall apart in my hands one day dropping a big ball of glowing tobacco in my lap--presumably while I'm driving and wearing a silk suit.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
I was afraid you'd say that.
Let's see if this works:
809dd9f4-5fbc-4778-a12e-bcdb222130f6

809dd9f4-5fbc-4778-a12e-bcdb222130f6

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Interesting. It looks like it's the very very start of a crack. As if it is caving in. I personally would keep smoking it and see what happens.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I found this crack on an estate I purchased a year or so ago. I just smoked it, and the crack actually got smaller. It looks about like the crack in yours now. Maybe my pipe had just dried out, I dunno.
Anyway, smoking is good for a pipe, IMO.
jEhg5mh.jpg

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
This is one of those "what's the worst that could happen" scenarios. Maybe avoid smoking it in your paper suit, but I wouldn't be surprised for it to last forever, or to fall apart tomorrow.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
will it suddenly fall apart in my hands one day dropping a big ball of glowing tobacco in my lap--presumably while I'm driving and wearing a silk suit.
It may or may never happen, but IMO that's exactly why you should allow your friend to retire with grace and dignity :wink:

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Throw it in the burn barrel or smoke it while you mow. That pipe is trash now!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pasteboard is trickier than most.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It looks like the cake in the bowl is too thick. Since it heats up and expands quicker than the wood, the expansion causes the crack. Eliminating the cake would help prolong the pipe's life, but it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The crack inside the bowl could be incidental, an easy patch, but the deformed bowl means there's a process that's not likely to be well fixed. I think you may be looking at smoking it on a bowl-by-bowl basis, and being ready to abandon the pipe in the not distant future, keeping in mind there's a fire hazard if the bowl comes apart while lit. Once a bowl is deformed, I'd say it's well along toward burning out. Just my take.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd ream it thoroughly and clean all the gunk off the rim. It may not be so out of round looking. And I'd sure as hell smoke it!

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
It looks like the cake in the bowl is too thick. Since it heats up and expands quicker than the wood, the expansion causes the crack.
That was the first thing I thought; but if the problem was the cake expanding faster than the briar, the crack should have started on the outside and gotten smaller as it went in (since in that case, the briar was being forced to expand too far, and thus, the briar furthest from the cake would have been most split), but the crack here starts on the inside and gets smaller as it goes towards the outside, almost like the briar expanded, but the cake didn't (and thus was forced to split open).
The night before I noticed this, I'd left it on the porch during a rainstorm. The porch is covered, but the winds blew enough mist onto the porch that everything on the table was slightly wet in the morning. I wonder whether the outside of the pipe got wet and absorbed enough water to expand faster than the (relatively dry) inside of the bowl, causing the inside to crack.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The physics you cite are incorrect. Cake expanding will tend to open the briar on the interior first. And it's highly unlikely that a drenching would cause the briar to expand to any degree.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
The physics you cite are incorrect. Cake expanding will tend to open the briar on the interior first.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand.
It seems to me that a crack occurs because the part that cracked was being pulled or pushed apart.
So if the expansion of the cake caused the crack in the briar, then I wouldn't expect the cake to be cracked. The cake is what's expanding, the briar is what is getting pushed apart. But the crack is widest in the cake, and gets thinner in the briar.
And if the briar split because it was getting pushed open from expanding cake on the inside pushing out on it, then I would expect it to buckle outward not inward when it cracked (I don't know if you can tell in the pictures, but the outside of the bowl bows inward over the crack--the visible line on the outside of the bowl in basically an inward crease).
Again, I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just trying to understand something that I obviously haven't wrapped my mind around.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like heat damage to me. Ream it back to the wood and press fireplace mortar into the crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.