PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Someone help me out: Is GL Pease Haddo's Delight properly pronounced "HayDohs" or "HaDohs"?
"Ay" as in "Hay" or "A" as in "Hat"?
I've always said "Hay-Dohs" but recently was told I may be wrong.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I pronounce it "had-ohs".
Kinda like "haddock" - had·dock -ˈhadək/
Interesting Google Search Results:
https://www.houseofnames.com/haddo-family-crest

http://www.haddoestate.com/
-- Pat

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Dear Greg Pease,
I prefer to say "Haydohs". Please change the spelling of this blend to suit my poor mastery of English.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
If you're from a small part of the American northeast, it may be pronounced "Haw-ddos" with the same vowel sound as the word "hopper".
For what it's worth, I side with the "hat" variant.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not sure how you pronounce it, Dave, but I know I pronounce Latakia wrong. The accent is supposed to be on the i, which makes the -kia part sound like, well, Kia. I don't like it, so I put the accent on the second a. Sounds much better to my ear.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
While it is spelled Haddo's it is actually pronounced kwyjibo, just one of the quirks of the English language.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That sounds made up! How can we have a meaningful dialogue if you are going to just throw nonsense around?!?! :wink:
Who are you? What have you done with Brewshooter!?! IMPOSTER!
-- Pat

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Who are you? What have you done with Brewshooter!?! IMPOSTER!
It is still me, just a more highly evolved version. Are you familiar with the teachings of one L. Ron Hubbard?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It is still me, just a more highly evolved version. Are you familiar with the teachings of one L. Ron Hubbard?
I am... Do you, perhaps, know of a testing centre I could visit? I have scads of disposable income and have always wanted to be as happy as Tom Cruise and John Travolta.
-- Pat

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Elrond Hubbard...wasn't he a character in one of Mr. Tolkien's books?
He was some sort of enlightened talking donkey if I a remember correctly. No wait, hmm, I may be thinking of Shrek.
I am... Do you, perhaps, know of a testing centre I could visit? I have scads of disposable income and have always wanted to be as happy as Tom Cruise and John Travolta.
Hot damn do I have good news for you!
Not sure we've really gotten a good answer on the pronunciation of Haddo's Delight in all of this. Let's just all agree to pronounce it DELIGHTFUL...see what I did there?

Status
Not open for further replies.