PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2019
Greetings,

With regard to Haddo's Delight, is it 100% tobacco or are there other additives to give it the flavor? I read a review that accredited some process to achieving the flavor. I've no clue what that means.

Thank you,

Christopher

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The TR.com website also says that Haddo's is flavored with rum, but I'd say that it's some other liqeuer -- somewhat ginger-like. As to the production, that seems to be a well guarded proprietary process quite apart from any top-flavoring applied.
an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
It is a very dark blend, at least mine was. The rum adds to the sweetness/plum flavor or should I say intensifies it. C&D Exhausted rooster does this too. Smells like plums straight outta the gate, but there is no topping from which I know. Contains a hefty dose of perique.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
NO!! It's 5% tobacco, 85% Hawaiian Tropic Suntan Oil and 10% Ass crack sweat.
I was wondering how long it would be until someone turned this into an Esoterica thread.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It is topped. I would guess fairly liberally, in addition to whatever processes it goes through. There is definitely high quality tobacco used, though. I enjoy it quite a bit but if noticeable toppings turn you off, it may be one to skip.

Several mention that the rum tastes like something else. When alcohol or any flavor is added to tobacco, it bends the flavor to bring out “other” flavors within the tobacco. Try Bag Piper Dream or Bothy Flake. They have a whole different flavor than just the alcohol that was added.

BTW, Haddos is a favorite of mine as well. If it did taste like rum, I wouldn’t like it as much.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I suggested that the top note was provided by a ginger liqeuer, and I must confess that this was not a wholly independant conclusion. To me, Haddo's Delight very much resembles Two Friends' Valle Crucis without the latter's Latakia content. Given that the eponymous friends are Tarler & Pease, it isn't much of a stretch to think that Pease created Haddo's by simply omitting the Latakia. The smoking gun is in a part of Valle Crucis' tin description:
The mixture is finished with a delicate top note of ginger, perfectly complimenting the complex flavors and wonderful aroma of the natural tobaccos.
If you ignore the Latakia, the resemblance between these two blends is stunning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm on my first tin of Haddo's, and I will say, when I popped the tin, the smell was all aromatics -- rum, raisons, pepper. Now that I'm two or three weeks into the tin, in rotation, I get tobacco way up front and other flavors just dancing at the edges. So it smokes, to me, like a non-aro or an extra tobacco forward aromatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.