PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I just discovered Haddo's this summer. I have smoked a dozen bowls and I really love it.
I have smoked it fresh from the tin and I have dried it a little and dried it a lot. I think that I like it best so far dried a moderate amount.
I have also been smoking it in fairly small bowls. It is always over way too soon. Does anyone smoke this in large bowls?
How do you smoke this? Do you dry it or not? What kind of pipe is it best smoked in?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think it's a great blend and I do think it does better when a bit dryer than when fresh out of the tin. I tend to smoke larger pipes but I don't really pay attention to how it smokes in narrow versus wide bowls. I just enjoy it.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I smoke it right from the tin in a Falcon fitted with a Hyperbole. I never dry my baccy out unless its dripping (ahem, Sam Gawith).
If you like Haddos C&D has one or two other blends with the same casing, names escape me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love the stuff but I have to dry the shit out of it and I prefer it in a long narrow chamber, something like the Stanwell billiard 29.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That would be very similar to frying bacon nude. You know it's going to hurt...you just don't know where. :rofl:
It's comments like this that make Mr realize how much I love the pipe smoking community. :rofl:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a blend that's good fresh and one that ages well. I just polished off a tin from 2001, its first year I believe, and what a great smoke it is. I'm sticking to new stock for a while as it''s just too easy to smoke up all the old stuff. It does benefit from drying a bit. You'll lose the boozy essence, but more of the flavors will pop if it's allowed to dry out. I've smoked Haddo's in small and medium large bowls and it delivers. Think I'll pull out a large Barling pot and give it a whirl to see what happens.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Deep & wide bowl such as the large WDC Wellington opens the flavor of this complex blend.

I also found that a medium sized conical bowl Dublin seemed to intensify the favors.

I almost always smoke tobacco slightly moist; dryer tobaccco seems to lose flavor for me.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I smoke it in a house, I smoke it with a mouse, in a box, with a fox. I smoke it here and there, I smoke it everywhere!

-Haddo's is one of my favorites that I smoke at least 5 times a week and always have on hand. I usually dry out about 1/2 a bowl's worth. After packing the dry, I top up the pipe with fresh out of the tin. (I use variations on this method for the majority of my baccys ---some, like SG, need mostly dry though) This gives HD the best flavor/burning characteristics for me.

Glad you found this tasty treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.