Had to try Captain Black for myself.....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
20150814_073210-1-600x547.jpg

Figured i had to try my first drug store blend just for fun. Standard Captain Black. I made sure to smoke in my hardwood not my briars. Smoked ok, i dried it over night. Smells very chemical-like. Little to no taste, actually was surprised it didnt taste bad but not good either. I guess the only positive thing is that I feel this stuff could survive a nuclear explosion haha. So if all foods and tobaccos are wrecked due to nuclear fallout, we can count on Twinkies and Capt. Black.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
My first and only experience with the Cap'n was at a celtic festival where I purchased a clay pipe from a vendor who supplied free tobacco refills, which turned out to be Captain Black. I was pleasantly surprised! The chemical taste was there, but otherwise it was predominantly sweet & creamy. I definitely got a lot of compliments about the "room note", it was a hit with the ladies! There was a stiff breeze all day which I think helped me keep the moist tobacco lit.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've never had a problem with the Captain's blends, no chemical tastes, no visits to the ER. I've certainly had worse, Top Black Cherry comes to mind, vile stuff. Captain Black Premium Edition blends are good, Red Sky being on of my favorite blends. I've tried many Aros and would never reorder ninety percent of them but somebody must like them. I even like Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish so what do I know?

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
I've tried many Aros and would never reorder ninety percent of them but somebody must like them
This is so true @davet. @mso489 has stated many times even if we dont like aros, they drive alot of the market to keep tobacco products being made.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The only Aro I regret buying is that evil Top Black Cherry, three days drying on a paper plate did nothing for it. It's the zombie of the tobaccos, can't kill it, it keeps going and biting, arghhh

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My choice is to mix CB White 50/50 with Carter Hall. It strips out all the things I don't like about CB and leaves behind the ones I do. Turns it into a smoke I really enjoy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oh, it is without a doubt extremely popular. The room note is top-notch if you have to smoke around non-smokers; hardly anyone finds the smell offensive. For me it just smokes too wet, which doesn't allow it to deliver the full "tobacco-y" flavor I like. Hence, the CH as a cutting agent. Another thing going for it is ready availability. If you're in a pinch, you can find it almost anywhere.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@aldecaker that is basically the situation I was in. Ran out of FM cellar on the road, so i grabbed a pouch for a smoke. Dont get me wrong this tobaccy isnt bad, its just not desired for everyday use for me. I understand they sell a ton of it otherwise they wouldnt distribute so much.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you're coming down with a fever? I heard there was a madness about?! 8O :evil: :P

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
CB Dark is probably the best of the CB lot, it's very similar to Lane BCA. I've enjoyed a few pouches of it for sure.
I don't mind the other CB blends, currently have 3 pouches of Regular, 1 Royal, and 1 Dark, all but the Dark purchased with Lane's $1 coupons. I wouldn't pay the full $8 retail it costs locally, but at $1 a pouch it's an enjoyable smoke.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I will buy a pouch of Captain Black when I am in dire straits and am without my regular tobacco, but I find that it has such a strong chemical taste that I will usually throw away the pouch once I am back with my regular tobacco. It does have a nice room note though. My sister is a visiting nurse, and the last time I visited with her I could smell the aroma of Captain Black on her clothing. She said that the last person she visited had been smoking a pipe, and it must have been Captain Black based on how my sister's clothing smelled. It was as if she had a Captain Black aura.

P

pipebuddy

The only decent CB for me is their Dark. It,s not chemical in taste like the rest of them.
There's a new one, the Copper, but I haven't tried it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.