PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It really is about the briar. Isn't it? I received a new pipe today made by Dunhill. This piece of briar's quality got me thinking more about briar. This pipe was made in 2015, but the briar must be 70 years old? At least it feels and tastes like it is to me. It's dry, light, and has the best new pipe taste of any pipe I've smoked. Is it feasible that Dunhill is currently using briar they acquired in 1955? Do they have multiple curing processes? I have too many questions that all have unknown and more likely secretive answers.
I've smoked a range of brand new mid-grade and a few high-grade artisan pipes, various estates, and of course most of the others. None of these other pipes started out like this one.
It makes me think about briar and it's sourcing in relation to different variables. In short, it's plausible that Dunhill is currently using superior briar to some 90% of other pipe makers. There's a history, process, and ability to manage resources that may be matched by a few select others; but it's certainly not surpassed. Has anyone else had a briar moment after smoking a brand new pipe?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Thanks billkay. I didn't know briar had a kind of 'use by date'. Good to know. Do you know if there an optimum time that is commonly followed as to when to get the most out of a piece of briar?

Status
Not open for further replies.