PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
Just received my first hackert. Came in a beautiful ziplock bag. The most stunning of all ziplock bags. Took my first draw to test the air flow and I got a wonderful mouthful of whatever the hell is used to coat the bowl. Looked inside and monstrous clumps of this shit was on the wall. Not impressed in the slightest. I've bought $15 pipes that came in a pipe sleeve and with precarb'd bowls that came in better condition. All I can say is WOW.
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't know if quality of Hackert pipes was ever "high". They were always pretty rough by the ones I've owned (a little less refined than say, a Boswell)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm not really into these newer "artisan" pipemakers... I would way rather get a factory pipe from Savinelli or Stanwell than some of these young bucks pushing pipes for $600 plus.

Just like you're post suggests, ya really aren't getting what ya pay for. Sometimes lessons can be expensive.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Who was the seller you bought the pipe from? I've seen many eBay sellers offering up Jake Hackert pipes. I don't own a Hackert, but I know several people that do and they say they're great pipes. I've never known his pipes to be coated, and from what I've seen the pipes came in a sock/case. Maybe it's an estate Hackert and being sold as a new Hackert to make an extra buck. What did you pay for it, because the ones I've seen being sold by Hackert himself are usually buy it now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hadn't heard of Hackert, so I Googled him. About four years ago, people on Forums ran post on him recommending the pipes. They looked good and people reported the smoked well. The current one I saw for sale by an online retailer was $215, somewhat more than the older prices I saw. The price increase paired with the negative experience you are reporting seem incongruous. Something's amiss. I'd bring it to the pipe carver's attention and see if he wants to restore the pipe or replace it. If not, let us know.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Jake Hackert (Who isn't a young buck hawky454) is a humble guy who puts out some great pipes. He certainly has a signature look. I bought one new and I agree he does leave a heavy coating inside the bowl that you can taste, everything else was very well done.

hirsute

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
I've bought a couple Hackerts recently and one of them had a very heavy coating. The coating is pretty loose resembles powdered carbon. I took a papertowel and wiped a lot of it out and then ran a pipe cleaner down the shank several times to make sure I got it all. Left a very fine coating after that. The other pipe wasn't as heavily coated and I didn't have any problems. Jake's pipes usually come in a black vinyl sleeve.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Jake Hackert (Who isn't a young buck hawky454) is a humble guy who puts out some great pipes. He certainly has a signature look. I bought one new and I agree he does leave a heavy coating inside the bowl that you can taste, everything else was very well done.

Yes, I stand corrected, I should have specified. I know nothing about Jake Hackert so I shouldn't have called him a young buck or hinted at him being some kind of young amateur pipe maker, I apologize for that. I was more so generalizing about all the "young bucks" that pop up out of nowhere and start out pricing their pipes for a ridiculous sum. I was assuming he was just another hipster pipe maker cranking out pokers... I kid, I kid. Anyway, I'm sure he's an excellent craftsman and I meant no harm.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I own 5 Hackert pipes my oldest is a 2011. I just bought and received a 2016 from eBay and there was a shit ton of the black coating, the drilling was off. And when he drilled the chamber, he went to far down and left a divot on the bottom of the bowl.

Ziploc bag, come on... He could do better than that. Especially when I paid 165 for the pipe.
I will be contacting him for a refund or a new pipe.
The earlier Hackerts I have a solid smokers, nice and chunky pipes.
His quality has definitely gone down. Big disappoint from a great pipe maker.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Without candy coating it....his quality has always been bad

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
At one time I owned a 7 day set of Jake’s pipes and I enjoyed every one of them. As I got older and being a clincher the weight of a pipe and thickness of a bit became an issue so I started selling them off. I wish that I would have kept at least one of them. I have spoken to Jake and found him to be an honest gentleman and a true craftsman that always sold his pipes at a fair price. Thanks to many, myself included on YouTube and websites such as this one touting Jakes work his popularity grew and people were often reselling his pipes at double or more of what they originally sold for.

If I had to guess his age and the popularity of his pipes may be out pacing his ability. Like I said before he is a gentleman and I would expect him to be accommodating if contacted directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.