PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
After reading the under age smoking posts, it seems that many of you feel that you would not want underage people to start smoking as if you consider it to be a habit like cigarette smoking or chewing. I am curious, do any of you think of your pipe smoking as a habit that you have to have. If so, is it that you need the nicotine or is it just that you are addicted to the craftsmanship, flavours, and over all ritual and feeling of pipe smoking. I don't smoke a pipe every day because I want or need the nicotine. I am hooked on it because of the same reason that I am hooked on food, cooking, wine, wine making...etc. I rarely just smoke a pipe while I'm doing something else. I smoke a pipe because I love the rituals, the fine art of slowing down, the craftsmanship of the pipe makers, the craftsmanship of the growers and blenders, the flavours of the tobacco and the over all feeling that I get from smoking a pipe. I always set aside time to spend with my pipe and the tobacco and I find it hard to concentrate on anything else while smoking. I do like to read and smoke, but there are times when I have to put the book down and just enjoy the pipe. Thoughts anyone?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
There are good habits and bad habits. Your question is using the word habit to mean what is considered a bad habit, or maybe an addiction.
A key factor in distinguishing a bad habit from an addiction is the element of willpower.
I do not think tobacco pipe smoking is an addiction for anyone.
It is a pleasurable pastime, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself, just like having good food and good wine.
If for some absurd reason you had to stop smoking your pipes for say a month, or two months, I bet any of us could do it and we wouldn't need any special help like cigarette smokers often do when they have to quit.
When I was in Las Vegas earlier this month, I brought 6 pipes with me along with tobacco. In 9 days I smoked 2 pipes. I was just too busy and involved in other things. I didn't need a "fix" even though I would have liked to had the opportunity to enjoy my pipes during that trip.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
All of the above, I think. I've been smoking for so long that the feedback loop between the activity and the reward is deeply engrained. The nicotine hit is important, but if it weren't there I'd still be involved for the flavors and the futzing around with all the toys. It is at once a habit, amusement, distraction, refuge, and a therapy. If denied the opportunity to partake, I could do it; but it wouldn't be pretty.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
As a reformed consumer of "coughin' nails" I have to say the nicotine is an objective to my smoking. I do inhale a couple of times per bowl. For me it's an added reward.

However; I have to say that the "art" is the largest factor for me.

I love the taste, and pace. It has been noted that I enjoy the duration factor as well.

Here's a blatant plug: Dottle Diggers

condorguy

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
I also enjoy the ritual and the aesthetics of pipe-smoking. Packing the bowl, lighting, tamping, puffing. For me it's not a habit but a habitual pleasure.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I don't actually enjoy the nicotine and think I am probably a lightweight.
I've mentioned in several other posts before that when I smoke Peterson Irish Flake, it usually makes the room spin and half the time makes me go to sleep. However, I really enjoy the flavor and aroma of that tobacco, but I do not enjoy getting wrecked off it.
I know, I'm a lightweight.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Ohin3, the way you've written your post leads me to think you are thinking of addiction. I think there is a difference between addiction, habit and pleasure. I would actually state that it is both habit and pleasure for most of us. Nicotine, whether the smaller amount delivered in pipe tobacco or the heavy amounts delivered by cigarettes causes cravings. Filling those cravings makes pleesure. Those cravings are just significantly smaller with pipe tobacco. Pipe smoking is a learned, not natural activity. Remember back when you first treied a pipe? Chances are good you really didn't like it, or as least as not as much as you thought you would and it probably tasted aweful. But you kept at it. Then your body got used to it, and even enjoyed it. The big difference between pipes and cigarettes is that pipe smokers generally don't consume enough to become addicted to it in the sense of cigarettes. Any of you ex-cigarette smokers out there know what I mean. The addiction is to the nicotine, the addiction is the act of smoking. Both were very hard for me to break, but the habit even more so than the addiction.
We may be just bantering sysmantics, but I think pipe smoking is a habit filled with pleasure for all the reasons you mention ohin3. A wonderful one! The experience for me is as much tactile as it is taste and sight. I love the holding my pipe and fidgeting with it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
You are both correct in that I would rather have used the word addiction than the word habit. And feel free to argue semantics...I would have ha ha ha. I'm with Kevin on this one though. I actually don't care for the heavier nicotine levels in some tobaccos. I mentioned Haddos delight in a previous post and the fact that I love that tobacco so much that I could eat it for a snack or side dish, but I cannot smoke it because half way through I get dizzy, get the nicups, hot spits, shakey and the general feeling of wanting to barf. 1792 does it to me too but doesn't seem to give me the nicups or that barfy feeling.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
I say pleasure. I don't smoke every day. I enjoy the smell and taste of the tobacco and the feel of the smoke in my mouth. I like the ritual of packing, lighting up, and even cleaning my pipe.
I guess I'm like Kevin. I don't particularly enjoy a heavy nicotine hit.
Since I've never smoked cigarettes, and I don't plan on starting, I guess I still don't understand the addiction people have to them.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Cigarettes are a habit and addictive . My pipe is a pleasure and a hobby .Life is about what you like to do . I like to smoke it brings me great pleasure , joy and relaxation . I find beuty in the briar and solace in the rising plum of smoke .

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm addicted to purchasing pipes and pipe tobacco not smoking them lol. I have gone up to 4 days without smoking pipes and have no chemical dependency on them, nor do I have one in my mouth out of habit.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I'm with Dave, surfmac and Hobie1dog and Kevin... No addiction. Just in love with the taste and smell and peace. I also am accumulating more than I smoke. It's all I can do not to come home with a new tin or baggie of something or other when I'm near the tobacconist. I love the tin smell and the anticipation. I keep swearing that I'll smoke more*, but modern life really puts the pressure on and it's hard to carve out the time. But it's rewarding when I finally do.
Simon
* isn't that just the total opposite of what most cigarette smokers say?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Since I've never smoked cigarettes, and I don't plan on starting, I guess I still don't understand the addiction people have to them.
Dave; count your lucky stars, and don't even try one, not even out of curiosity.

I have been down that road, and it isn't any fun.

I have however; loved my pipe from day one.

I hate cigarettes and it can be struggle to keep them at bay.

I will contend, because I believe it to be true, that cigarettes are far too convenient, and nothing more than a nicotine delivery system designed to keep the user of them addicted.

If I feel that I must have nicotine, then I will go through the ritual of preparing a proper pipe to remind me that... I hate cigarettes, and remind myself that the pipe is not the same thing as a coughin' nail, and generally get my head in the right place. By the time I've ritually packed my pipe the craving will have past, and I will wait until I'm in the right frame of mind to enjoy the pipe smoking art for art's sake. Nothing says that I have to smoke it right then, I often set them aside, for later. (sometimes for several hours, sometimes for the whole day) (granted not as often as I probably should)

But, I do inhale once or twice per bowl... so the nicotine thing is still there. However, I am making a concerted effort to refrain from even that "once or twice". But, the kinesthetic memory of a 36 year habit is tough to overcome.

So, just to see how much I really crave nicotine; I will not smoke tomorrow (meaning my waking hours on Saturday).

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
pstlpkr, thanks for that informative perspective. I really appreciate you taking the time to write that. I grew up in a family where tobacco usage of any kind was considered wrong. This was probably a good thing, since it kept me away from cigarettes. My ignorance of tobacco led me to assume that all ways of using it were just the same. I am happy to say that I now understand the difference, and posts like yours confirm that difference.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
I think the distinction between instrumental use and ritual use is a good one to use. Some people drink coffee because of the effects of caffeine. The use of the drug is a means to an end. Some coffee drinkers aren't affected by the caffeine and drink it for the pleasure and taste of the coffee itself. Cigarette smokers smoke as a means to avoid withdrawal and provide the relaxation that smoking provides for them. Pipe smoking is an end in itself. It produces its own pleasure through the rituals that surround pipe smoking, as condorguy suggests.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Phil (ohin3), nice thread. It evoked some great contributions and perspectives.

Hauntedmyst's post resonates the most with my views, but everyone's posts provided valuable insights, and forced some re-examination.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I admit that I did miss my morning pipe with my joe this morning.

But, none the worse for wear.
I'm not going to lie pstlpkr that sounded like something out of a book or a famous quote from a pipe smoker.

Does it really? Sorry, just telling the truth again.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This is a copy and paste from my posting in the "What are you smoking?" string.
I will not smoke during my waking hours on Saturday, just to test myself.
Well....

My experience was no big deal.

While I did desire a pipe or two during the course of the day.

The times that I missed my pipe the most were in the morning with cup of joe, and late in the evening with my book and martini. I do not believe that the lack nicotine was anything more than a minimal urge.

This morning I resumed my customary pipe with my coffee.

I have been following a practice (of late) that was described in one of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries as described by Dr. Watson.

Sherlock was described as smoking his cleaned and dried dottle from the previous day.

I have restricted the dottle to the plugs that occasionally remain at the end of a pipe. I carefully discard totally consumed tobacco and store the plugs in an empty Half and Half can.

I have to admit that the "rustic" flavor and smokey taste go quite agreeably with my morning joe.

This morning: Dottle in my Chacom Churchwarden, and a strong cup of Joesephus Daniels.

Status
Not open for further replies.