Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Pic 1

stars

AUR-----Grain, *something* Stem

MAC---Stem, US Pat 2232092

Stem Connection
I have a rhodesian shape (i think) with a saddle stem.. The stamping on the pipe is not the best, but it is novel, at least for me, in that the stem has 2 brass 7-pointed stars. I searched pipephil, and the only 7-pointed stars that i saw were for Lee. Pipephil - Lee
There is also a slight possibility that it may be Wally Frank, according to the MAC letters. Pipephil - MAC
Lastly, although you cant see it clearly, there is a stamping US Patent 2232092. Searching for that patent number gets me this patent - Patent, by Henry Davenport Bellin from 1940.
If anyone could sheld some more light on this pipe, I would love to know more.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Those do look like stars Lee used in later years. They were screw thread pipes, but I don't recognize the stem fitting. And it would be stamped LEE on the left shank.
$(KGrHqEOKpwFJgEdswyeBSfWJ)1yEw~~60_57.JPG

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Another difference is that my pipe only has 2 stars..and I think he used 3. A limited edition had 1 star. It may be possible he used 2 for some? Hrmm

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Thank you snagstangl. I think I found my pipe. The second link you gave, 1st column, 4th page down on the top.
However, the only difference being the innovative new stem connection. I do see a band on some pipes a couple pages down, called the Gold Coast Pipe. "These pipes have a Gold Filled Band as well as syncromatic screw stems"
Everything I read about "syncromatic screw stem" is from Mastercraft pipes, and from the early 70s. However, the tech has been around since the 50s, according to the Pipes by Lee advert.
Very weird.
Again, thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.