PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I mention most of this in my New Order thread, however, as it is a review, I also chose to list it here for those interested.
The pipe used was a Stanwell Royal Guard 16M, which is my Skiff/Squadron Leader/Charing Cross pipe. I gave it a good cleaning with a couple pipe cleaners to remove the vast majority of previous flavorings so that I could get the full Black House experience.
On first opening the tin, the aroma was quite light. Not as strong or pronounced as the other balkan blend tins that I am accustomed to, such as from Charing Cross or Squadron Leader. Also, the tobacco was far drier that I am used to seeing from other tobaccos as well, especially from a tin. This game me a brief pause of concern..not as much aroma, and dry. Would this be any good?
Well, I filled the bowl, pressed down a bit, filled again, only giving myself a half bowl. I gave it a good char, then lit it proper. I must say that the initial flavor was quite reminiscent of the other balkans that I have tried, but after a couple good puffs, I found that it is wholly its own blend.
I took only a few (several) puffs, only because I am in my computer room, and choose not to fill it with smoke, especially as I am renting the house. If I were owning this place, then I would have completed the bowl here. I paused for a few minutes, and set the pie down beside the keyboard as I began to type.
Loooking over, there is a nice white powder over the tobacco, so it burns very well and pure. I felt no bite, as I normally do from drier tobaccos. My mouth is still tasting the flavors after a couple minutes. Savoring the taste, and the room note...if you could take a winter fireplace, and bottle up that aroma, this is what it would smell like.
It is 27 degrees outside (-3 Celsius), but I headed out to finish the bowl. Coming back inside, I finished a couple other duties, such as jarring up some of the Squadron Leader. It has been about half an hour since the bowl, and the aroma still in the office is remarkable, as is the taste still on my lips.
This is a most wonderful balkan blend. I will be ordering some more for the cellar.

Jan 8, 2013
Ahhh the wonderful Hearth And Home Black House. My first favorite tobacco and my first balkan. Truly a great smoke every time.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Just had my first bowl of this! Oh. My. God.
Hands down, the best tobacco I have ever had the pleasure to smoke. Marvelous, complex, sweet, spicy, smoky, leathery, and on and on... Smoking a bowl of this is like sinking into a comfortable old leather chair in an antique store on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Or something like that. Gawwwwwwd, I love this stuff!

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
It really is unspeakably amazing. One of the best tobaccos you can get. Thanks again Russ, should you happen upon this!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I converted one of my two Ser Jacopo pipes from MacBaren 7 Seas Royal (aromatic) to an English/Balkan. I have been enjoying the full flavor of this wonderful tobacco in my Jac Compta. I am tasting more subtleties in the blend and it's just getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.