PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
This was ordered in a 1oz taster sampler that I purchased from smokingpipes.com. I had heard raves rumblings about it on here, and I figured that I would send for a sampler, along with other blends to try out. I am a huge fan of Virgina/Burleys, and was eager to get this started.
The raw aroma of the bag/tin was just as I read; smells of ketchup and BBQ sauce, and a hint of worcestershire. This mainly due to the vinegar used in the process of the tobacco blend. It smells absolutely wonderful, and it did not put me off at all. The bulk option was ready-rubbed, and I began to pack my small Alpha prince.
I would not call this a VaBur blend. It is more like a Burlinia, as the Burley is very dominant. It has the essence of a strong cigar, with a slight hint of the sweet Virginia. Unfortunately, for me, I suppose the Burley is too overpowering. I don't mind a bit of Burley for a kick of nic and to bring an earthiness to a blend, but for me it was not to my satisfaction or taste.
Be that as it may, what it sets out to do, it does accomplish quite well, as the vast positive reviews can attest to. I have read that Burleys do not cellar/age that well, and that if one were to cellar this, then the Virginias would get stronger. For me, this might make it more palatable, however, it may also ruin the blend. I am unsure. I know that I will jar it away in the cellar and try it again down the line.
If you love cigars or Burley-heavy blends, then this is a good blend and I heartily recommend it. However, if, like me, you are not quite sure, see if someone here can send you a small sample to try out, or maybe your local B&M will give you a bowl.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sweet and smokey with a slight background of earthy & spice ... love it! :puffy:
I've got around 5 lbs of ODF put away and, unless there is some JKP or Triple Play open,

it's always in rotation.
FWIW, mine is all flakes and I have not tried the RR version.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I tried this blend for the first time at the CORPS Pipe Show in Richmond back in October and loved it! I have a taste for a fine Burley blend and this may be why I found it so appealing. It's definitely at the top of my list for my next TAD purchase.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
instymp - Smokingpipes.com sells it in one pound bulk for around $44. The flakes are slightly thicker and longer. It is a beautiful site when you open up a package. The flakes are all nicely packed and you can see the tobacco "grain" pattern. Wonderful stuff, smoking a bowl now in fact.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I've been a piper for just under a year now, Father Christmas brought me my first pipe last year.

Out of the tobaccos I have tried, ODF has been my favourite.

Kohlhase and Kopp's own Xmas blend my least favourite, as it gives me a sore throat every time I smoke it.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I love this blend and actually quite enjoy the room note -smells of leather bound books and rich mahogany.... ok maybe not actually but it does smell a lot better IMO than many saccharine aromatics.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
With Peterson's Irish Flake holding the number one spot in my favorites, I've been smoking ODF as well. It is very different for a Mac Baren style tobacco, and in my opinion, their best yet. Along with John Sinclair's Highland Sliced, these three offer me a nice variation on the dark fired genre. BTW...HS is hard to come by, but I found that EA Carey UK offers it as their Dark Flake no 7. DF no 7 is HS, both manufactured by Orlik under two names. As of about a year ago, I've had no problem ordering tobacco from them for USA delivery.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is my decision breaker when I can't make up my mind what to smoke. Love the stuff, and have several pounds of it in my cellar.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Its good to see so many people laud the ODF. I will come back to ODF in a few months and give it another try. There are a number of elements that could cause a distaste: a previous tobacco, a prior meal, or anything else that could temporarily alter the taste buds. However, I have not given up on it.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Griffonwing - I had this reaction when I first tried it. Initially, I was meh, but let it sit for a few weeks and tried another bowl and was blown away. A number of people have had the same initial reaction so definitely let us know when you revisit it.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
All of these positive remarks are keeping me hopeful that when I try it again in a couple months, that it will be to my liking.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I keep putting this blend in my cart at P&C, and then taking it out in the end. I'm not sure it I'll like it, and it isn't the cheapest tin. Maybe at some point I'll pull the trigger and try it.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
@psychpipes - Do what I did with SP.. just order an ounce. I currently have the rest of my ounce (minus 1/2 bowl) in a small jelly jar and will try it again in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.