PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Do any of you have a gurgly Peterson system pipe?

I have had this Peterson bent pipe for years, which I smoked very little because of the incessant gurgling that would start up after about 5 min. smoking. I loved the shape and feel, so I never got rid of it, always hoping that some day I could figure out what to do with it.

Since it's a system pipe I couldn't run a cleaner down the stem into the bowl as I do my other pipes. It would always hit the reservoir and stop. It would never sop up all the liquid, and after a few more puffs it would start gurgling again.

This evening I had an epiphany! I had some old Savinelli balsam wood filters that I never use. I took one and cut off about 1/2 " of it and stuffed it into the reservoir of the Peterson. Re-attached the stem and filled it up and smoked away.

Not a gurgle. Not a one! I have been doing this all evening to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. It works great!

Not all Peterson's are as wet smoking as mine from what I gather here on the forum, but if you have one that is, this seems to be a good fix.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i smoke mostly brighams, and they have the rockmaple filter system, with no filter sometimes a gurgle but i always run a cleaner tru it halfway tru bowl anyway. I not familiar with the peterson system but i have read on here that some will gurgle! i dont c why puttin a piece of the filter in will hurt anything

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Max that sounds like a unique solution.

The Peterson System is based on a Military bit.

It is made so that you can remove the stem and simply pour out any collected moisture.

There is one possible problem with your solution, and this is only conjecture on my part.

By wicking out the moisture instead of pouring it out and drying with something like a paper towel.

Any residual moisture may sour your pipe over time.

I love the look of the Peterson System. I owned one for years, but it was continually going sour, even after only one bowl.

Uncle Arthur is now the proud owner of that particular pipe.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Hi Lawrence,
Well, yes. I didn't want to get too into details, but you're right. What I do is that after I smoke the bowl, I set the pipe down and let it cool. Then I remove the stem and take out the piece of balsa wood which is saturated, and swab out the reservoir and the rest of the air hole and tobacco chamber with a pipe cleaner, and put a fresh piece of balsa in the reservoir and I'm ready for another smoke. Fiddly I grant you, but it smokes without a gurgle. And it let's me enjoy the pipe like never before.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Hi Max,
I have many Peterson system pipes and can assure you that it is easy to run a pipe cleaner through the air hole, you have to angle a straight cleaner from bottom to top on the inside of the shank, it sounds like you might have a block in the air hole so you need to use a bit of force to break through the crud. If your pipe model is a 31 straight it is a bit more fiddly, sometimes easier to put a slight bend on the end of a pipe cleaner and attack the hole from the inside of the bowl.
Don't give up on it, millions of Peterson System Pipes have been sold in their 125 year history and all can be cleaned easily, to clean out the reservoir just screw a tissue paper into it and keep turning, you will be amazed how easy this is.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Can't say that mine has ever been excessively gurgley, but never forget to empty the reservoir after each and every smoke. And I don't recommend wearing a white shirt while smoking one either. The ambient air here in the swamp makes all my pipes a lil wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.