Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Does anyone here find that certain tobaccos can cause your gums to peel?

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Well I know eating a big bag of salt and vinegar chips can cause gums and cheeks to peel for alot of people.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
No, but when I smoked Mixture 79 my teeth began to itch and my hair hurt.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I eat sunflower seeds by popping a bunch in one side of my mouth and shelling them on the other side. At the half bag mark, I am like a prune in there and my gums peel for 18 hours or so. As to your issue, I'd say you are allergic to a topping.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Well since I have been pipe smoking I have been taking much better care of my mouth and sometimes I notice that right at the gum line there is a little bit of my gums that are sloughing.. Hmm just looked it up, could be my toothpaste...

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I can't say that my gums peel, but when I use Crest products the skin inside my mouth sloughs and both my General Dentist and Periodontist agree I am allergic to something in the Crest products.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Copenhagen and the like will give my gums a white sort of coating that can peel off. That is only when I chew like a demon or leave one in for hours or when I fall asleep with one in. :oops:

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I've read that this happens to 75-80% of Royal Yacht smokers.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Some foods cause peeling for me. The biggest thing I have to watch is inflammation from some Orientals. Most Lat and Perique blends are good at reducing inflammation. I have a molar that needs attention so I have to watch things like mustard, cayenne, etc. When things go bad with a blend gumwise, Nestea unsweetened instant ice tea has tannins that reduce the inflammation. For infection, fresh garlic clove, fresh basil, or thyme. Clove is great and used to be a common smell in dentist's offices due to its pain relieving qualities and antiseptic properties.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
both my General Dentist and Periodontist agree I am allergic to something in the Crest products.
I've just recently found they no longer use diatoms as the polishing agent in toothpastes. They now use PLASTIC microbeads instead of the good old diatomaceous earth. They were the reason toothpaste use to be gritty. Now it isn't. Food for thought.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Mayfair: Cool, thanks for the tips! The tannins won't give you a dry mouth? I find drinking tea while I smoke dries my mouth, So thats a good thing?

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I've just recently found they no longer use diatoms as the polishing agent in toothpastes. They now use PLASTIC microbeads instead of the good old diatomaceous earth. They were the reason toothpaste use to be gritty. Now it isn't. Food for thought.
Yeah I noticed that too! I just got Sensodine toothpaste that contains no SLS . Man its hard to find a toothpaste without SLS.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
ltstone - I haven't noticed dry mouth from ice tea, but a bit of lemon juice might help that. Hope it helps. :)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Some tobaccos seems to be more caustic than others. I'm still trying to find a pattern so I can avoid them. Right now I think it's mostly cavendish that irritates me.

Mar 1, 2014
I do feel like I get less dry mouth if I drink something carbonated rather than just water, acidity might be a key factor.
But if your gums are peeling stop everything until you figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.