PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
To begin with have been a Guiness drinker since I was 21, maybe before. I was that guy, who always said you should never drink Guiness anyway other than on tap. Times have changed I am 31 with kids and rarely make it to the bar. To be honest I can no longer tell the difference between the Guiness can and on tap. However I was just recently turned on to Murphy's Irish stout. Hands down it blows Guiness out of the water. Pouring this stuff out of the can is no different than pouring your favorite stout out of the tap. In my opinion it is far creamier than Guiness and much more flavorful. If you are a Guiness fan this is definitely something you should try.
Anyone else try Murphy's?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Haven't had the Murphy's, but if you ever have a chance to have a Guinness at the factory in Dublin, you should do it. It is remarkable, with a depth and a fruity quality I've never had in any other Guinness -- even on tap at other establishments in Dublin.
Bob

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Have you ever tried Boddingtons? My favorite used to Caffreys but it is no longer made.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I actually saw Boddingtons but I was hell bent on getting Murphy's after my co-worker was telling me about it. I will probably try that next time.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I used to drink Guinness almost exclusively until I discovered Belhaven Scottish Ale. To beer aficionados these are probably two very different beasts but to me Belhaven tastes like a better Guinness. I believe I have tried Murphy's and liked it as well. I would gladly drink either (or all 3) if they were offered to me!

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
You're comparing Nitro canned Murphy's to the Nitro canned Guinness? Either way you are correct Murphy's is better. I used to buy a 4 pack of the Murphy's, Guinness and Beamish in the 90s to have the Irish three on hand. Now that was a great way to drink 'em. When they downsized from the 500ml to the smaller cans I stopped getting them. And now I haven't seen Beamish in years.
Just to throw you for a loop. If you can find it, try it. There was a bar near me that had Murphy's on tap, non nitro. That is hands down the best stout out there unless you make your own.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
A great combination on a warm day is Guinness with lemonade. If you've never tried a Guinness float you are missing out as well (Guinness and melted vanilla ice cream).

Aug 1, 2012
Heck with both of them. Give me an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Failing that, I'll take a Zonker stout or Sheaf stout.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
All delicious beers.
I will add Samuel Smith's Tadcaster Oatmeal Stout and Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout as well.

Dec 24, 2012
I like both but prefer Murphys. It's not just the Catholic in me talking though - I actually prefer the taste of Murphys.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Great thread gents! I also prefer Murphy's to Guiness - but I enjoy both-

Boddington's is a superb ale, especially in hot weather.....great thirst quencher, nice sweet honey finish!

I love Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter,Nut Brown ale and Oatmeal stoudt....a little pricey for regular consumption on my budget tho-

Belhaven Scottish ale and Old Speckled Hen ARE the favorites for me!-Costly where I live

Murphy's is a great value and always available in our local stores.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
My first, only and now ex-wife fell for me because I could brew a dead ringer for the Murphy's she remembered from home back in Ireland. I even ran it on tap at home with the nitrogen dispense system. The perks of being a professional brewer, I suppose. Ahhh, I don't miss that woman at all. I still like Murphy's more than Guinness but I'll almost always choose a pint of Best Bitter over either.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Guiness is my favorite beer on tap... Never had a murphys but I will be on the look out!!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Peck: Me thinks the Irish forgave Arthur his Protestant roots many years ago. At least judging from the old gents I meet in the pubs I believe that's true. Murphy's does indeed have it's own taste. I'd never turn away either.
rmbittner: I believe the view and location make the black stuff seem better at the brewery. If you really want to feel local flavor when traveling abroad try Guinness where ever you are. Guinness is not supposed to taste the same the world over. The recipe is manipulated according to local tastes. A Guinness in Singapore is very different from one that is pulled in Canadian bar.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
ERDINGER! :puffy:
b236bd87-4230-4c77-a4e9-32ef54e9f905_zpseaf9b01c.jpg
[/url][/img]

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I haven't found it around here in cans, but have had it on tap. Murphy's is a quality stout. I will agree it is better than Guinness, however I do not hold Guinness in very high regard. Many other stouts I prefer over Guinness.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.