Guess What? You Actually Don't Like the Tobaccos You THINK You Do.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If you normally smoke them in briar pipes, anyway.
It's easy to prove: smoke them in a CLAY pipe. (A good quality one that's clean and new, of course)
While there will probably be blends that will taste good to you in a clay, it'll be mostly luck if they are the same ones you like in briar. The difference is that dramatic.
The (sort of) joke, here? Clay pipes have long been considered by blending professionals to offer the most neutral and "pure" presentation of tobacco. Meaning if you don't like Brand X through one, that you're in love with a certain briar + blend COMBINATION, not the tobacco itself. :mrgreen:
Here's an example. I smoke lots of heavy stuff, like Kendal Kentucky, Kendal Dark, and Dark Flake. And I'm completely serious that if smoking those blends in a clay was my only option, I'd quit pipes and take up RC airplanes or something. They all taste ghastly unless "buffered" by wood. Chemical-y and sharp, with a lingering sourness that puts me off smoking for the rest of the day. Truly awful. (Which implies that there are almost certainly blends where the reverse would be true, of course... something that would be awesomely good in a clay but disgusting or muted to the point it had no flavor worth bothering with in a briar... but that's a different question for a different day.)
If you're curious to check this out yourself, clay pipes are quite inexpensive. Just be sure you coat/wrap/etc the end of the stem with wax or some neutral material before smoking the pipe. Fire hardened clay wicks surface moisture so aggressively that your lips instantly stick to it almost like superglue.

May 4, 2015
Makes sense to me.
There are blends I won't smoke in a cob because I don't like them as much as in a briar. Different materials will of course affect the smoke, as they'll absorb or trap various flavor molecules that other materials wouldn't.
There are also blends I won't smoke in a pipe, but like in a paper (Royal Yacht, I'm looking at you.)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I always "knew" this to be the case...but as I sit here and think (which isn't always a worthwhile endeavor...), I'm starting to wonder...
If clay is sooo absorbent, wouldn't that mean that the clay is actually absorbing flavor and flavor-carrying-substances out of the smoke before it reaches your mouth?
And as has been stated in many other threads here, since briar is very nonabsorbent, then smoking through a briar would be the best way to maximaize all the flavor potential from a smoke?
Just wondering if there's anything to this, even though it is usually presented opposite of this.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Following that logic, lightmybriar, (and I’m not insinuating you’re wrong) a Falcon would be one of the most ideal implements for smoking. A bowl that is heat resistant without overheating or steaming the tobacco and a shank/stem that neither imparts nor detracts from the flavor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
George, I don't care. I am not buying some clay piece of shit that I have to worry is going to rip skin off my lips. I will sit in my ignorance and be happy with my briar pipes that I have dedicated to my favorite tobaccos. :nana:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, I don't care. I am not buying some clay piece of shit that I have to worry is going to rip skin off my lips. I will sit in my ignorance and be happy with my briar pipes that I have dedicated to my favorite tobaccos. :nana:
You missed the point, I think. I'm not trying to encourage or convince anyone to change what they are doing. I just thought it was entertaining to discover that vanishingly few people actually like what they THINK they do... that when someone says "I like Blend X," if they're a briar smoker what they actually like is the COMBINATION of Blend X and the flavor imparted by briar. They might not like Blend X by itself (so to speak) at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Never liked the experience of smoking a clay.
Q: Can they be made to build up a cake, and would that not mitigate some of the crapiness of smoking in one?
Also, wouldn't a clean "Le Pipe" also have a complete absence of cake and briar?

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Interesting post thanks. I picked up a couple of those German ones from P&C but haven't tried them out yet.
So are there any blends or blend types that work exceptionally well in a clay?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
For the sake of future posts, please stipulate to briar or morta when I say I like a blend. Not that I don't think your hypothesis is both interesting and accurate, I'm not interested in investing good smoking time experimenting with something I'd never smoke day to day.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I never smoked a clay and probably never will..........especially now since I probably wont like my favorite blends it............. :roll:

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I have recently discovered this to be the case with Meerschaum as well. I've got a running experiment going where I've been tasting each blend in briar, cob, and meer, and the difference in flavor is pretty amazing.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Thanks George great post. I find enough trouble matching one of my briars to a tobacco. I may have simple tastes but usually if a blend gets very high ratings on Tobacco Reviews I will like it. At that point I then "fine tune" by finding a briar pipe that suits it best.

To add a clay into the mix would add an extra level of complexity, which I would avoid, but do like the discussion.

May 4, 2015
Briars, and to a lesser extent, meerschaums have a flavor of their own which is augmented by the cake buildup in the pipe. Most pipe smokers enjoy the cake as much or more than the tobacco
Happy to report that I'm not a cake builder. And with the support of this quote, I can now feel superior saying that about myself! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.