Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

GS-1

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just had a bit of TAD and purchased a ton of tobacco one of the bags is labeled Lane Limited GS-1... Its smells ok smokes ok but i cant seem to find it online anyone have any info? The guy i got it from said the stuff was around 6 years old do they still make GS-1? There were several different kinds :Peter Stokkebye Nougat, Black cavendish, pistachio, Lane Limted GS-1, BL-BW, Black raspberry and some Norse gold over all it was an awesome haul for the price. Im just kinda new to this and now my cellar has grown into a 15lb monster that its taking over the hutch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Seems Lane GS-1 bulk blend is mentioned in a thread from 2004 on Pipes.org as someone's go-to, but I can find nothing else.

Another possible complication is that many B&Ms sell Lane bulks and rename them.

Since all or most of those bulks are Lane Ltd. tobaccos, you might want to contact Lane Ltd. and ask them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Darjones:

Welcome to the forums, friend. Grab a root and growl. This is a great place to hang out, listen and learn. Please don't be shy about asking questions, either, The dumb questions are the ones that never get asked.

Lord, I wish I was sitting on a 15 lb. stash of tobacco. Several of us think U.S. tobacco taxes will eventually become punitive - along the Canadian model - and I'm scrambling now to get my cellar fortified before the balloon goes up. Even if you're currently holding some blends you don't particularly care for, you still have trade bait, Darjones, and somebody will want it.

You made a good buy, pally. Get it jarred up for the dark years ahead.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the welcome and the tips I'm digging the possibilty of one day trading some of this for some different kinds. And to rothnh thanks for the info I didn't think to check with Lane directly I just kinda had a duh moment lol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you have 15 pounds I hope you have a lot of VA and VAPers.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

wow its been hours I figured that there would have been at least someone that would have smoked the stuff at some point... oh well guess I'm gonna have to do the dirty work myself and do some more digging. Back at Dragonslayer I don't have alot of VA but plan too I mostly have aros which seemed like a good think at first but my tastes are kinda of changing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

well after digging way way down in the pages of google I found a pdf that at least tells me that Lane Limited GS-1 existed at some point and is described as such: Two Burley Cuts, Golden Virginia and Latakia, combine their natural flavors into a superb, pleasing blend. A little flavored toasted Cavendish is added to round out this natural smoke.Im just gonna assume the 3 pint jars and quart jar packed as tight as I could pack them are a bit of a treasure they may have changed the name or even stopped making it who knows...thanks to all who chimed in on this one. Here is the link to the pdf there are all kinds of other descriptions as well . http://site.pipesandcigars.com/BulkTobaccoWithDescForPdf.pdf

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

Just bear in mind that if you want it to "age" it will need air.
    Make sure your jars are sterile and that they aren't packed too tightly.
    Also; one tip I have learned from our esteemed membership....
    Make sure that the jars are warm when you fill and close them.
    This will insure that there is some air inside the jar, after the jar cools the lid should seal with a partial vacuum.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

oooh good tip guess i better pull a lil out of those jars cause they are packed to the gills thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

oooh good tip guess i better pull a lil out of those jars cause they are packed to the gills thanks

I pack my 8 ounce Ball screw-top canning jars pretty tight, I leave 1/4 inch of air at the top, and have been doing it this way for 25 years. I don't heat them, massage them, or do any exceptional genuflecting -- works perfectly for me.

"Sterile" jars is, IMO, like hitting an ant with a sledge hammer. If your jars are new, they are plenty "sterile" enough. Just fill them the hell up.

If your jars were used to can Grandma's pickles, you may want to wash those jars in the dishwasher on the hot and dry cycle (and carefully examine the lids - new lids are cheap, tobacco is not).

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   salmonfisher, tlag77, adam2, pipesbywhitney, jdmack09, redbeard, sablebrush52, purplemotoman, settersbrace, plateauguy, smeigs, ccarter, trailboss, tbradsim1, ruger414, chops, foggymountain, goodkat, sjfine, rsuninv, bruceliu926