PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
looking at the cost of some seeds of pipe tobacco varieties, I am interested in growing my own, does anyone here grown their own tobacco for their pipes? make their own mixture with tobacco they grow themselves? if so whats the mixture?

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I've looked up about growing it and drying it out, but I'm curious as to how you mix them to make a blend I'm looking into this because I am a prepper, and I feel I should be able to grow some of my own tobacco in case things got bad and I couldn't order any

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have grown one crop of tobacco in my backyard garden.
I grew it last summer, plan on fermenting it this summer, will hopefully be able to smoke some by Christmas.
You are too late to start for this season. However, for next season I would recommend getting a hold of a couple different varieties / strains and planting 2 - 3 of each, see what grows best in your climate. The key is in the color curing and fermenting. Once you get quality leaf, then worry about blending.
Just a word of warning. It is not a fast or simple process. It takes a lot of space to grow and dry, as well as a lot of time. That being said, if you are willing to dedicate the love and time required, it can be a very rewarding experience.
Good luck!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I prefer to leave it to the experts. I'm told that if you can grow tomatoes or eggplants you can grow tobacco. The magic is what happens from topping until it is ready to be smoked. That magic seems to be complicated and not well-suited to someone who is growing on a small scale for personal consumption.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
It does take a lot to grow cure and blend tobacco, but if you are interested, give it a try and see what you can come up with. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just can't see growing a good crop realistically that you would really enjoy smoking, too much work involved for the effort. I can see growing your own for cigarettes, but pipe tobacco is definitely a fine art, much like making good scotch.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Well Young piper, I whole heartedly support your curiosity and hopefully venture into growing your own and blending your own. While it takes time to do all the steps and process to make a good pipe tobacco, anything worth doing or having is worth the effort. There is nothing you cant learn from reading books on the matter and a few visits to a tobacco farm. I am sure there are blenders conventions tobe attend, and tobacconists who would be more than happy to help you out.

Do some research and find out what plants do well in your climate and soil type. See if there are any growers in your region, and pay them a visit. You may even be surprised as to what rewards you can get from volunteering to help on the weekends.

Never let neigh sayers discourage you from anything. All men who did great things had lots of detractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.