Tags:   

Grow Your Own Pipe Tobacco

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by youngpiper1
  • Latest reply from locopony
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

youngpiper1

Login to Send PM

looking at the cost of some seeds of pipe tobacco varieties, I am interested in growing my own, does anyone here grown their own tobacco for their pipes? make their own mixture with tobacco they grow themselves? if so whats the mixture?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

There's a few threads here with puffers growing their own, so you can check those out.

I think you're ahead of yourself asking about mixtures and such. If you spend some time researching the whole process and the time and effort it takes to get from the tobacco seed to the ready-to-smoke pipe tobacco, you'll probably realize there's a lot more involved than first thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

youngpiper1

Login to Send PM

I've looked up about growing it and drying it out, but I'm curious as to how you mix them to make a blend I'm looking into this because I am a prepper, and I feel I should be able to grow some of my own tobacco in case things got bad and I couldn't order any

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have grown one crop of tobacco in my backyard garden.

I grew it last summer, plan on fermenting it this summer, will hopefully be able to smoke some by Christmas.

You are too late to start for this season. However, for next season I would recommend getting a hold of a couple different varieties / strains and planting 2 - 3 of each, see what grows best in your climate. The key is in the color curing and fermenting. Once you get quality leaf, then worry about blending.

Just a word of warning. It is not a fast or simple process. It takes a lot of space to grow and dry, as well as a lot of time. That being said, if you are willing to dedicate the love and time required, it can be a very rewarding experience.

Good luck!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

OK, well lets take a "standard" virginia blend, for example.

Most virginia blends have at least 3-4 different virginia leaves and each of those leaves is dried and cured differently. Then there's the burley -- most virginia blends contain at least some burley to "round out" the smoke -- and yep, you guessed it, the burley also has it's own regimen for drying and curing. OK, here we are, you've dried all the tobaccos, each under it's own regimen, each taking specific times and different temperatures for curing each of those leaves in your tobacco barn -- so now, you have to age/ferment the tobaccos, which, depending on your goal and tobaccos used, can take months to years.

Finally, you get to actually making the blend. Some of this leaf, not too much of that one, what topping(s) do we use? Is a casing required? Will we press these leaves? Once the mixture has "melded" (which also takes a considerable amount of time under precise conditions) -- will the cut be a shag, ribbon, flake, rubbed out flake?

From the little I know, it takes years of apprenticeship to wrap ones mind and skills around understanding how all that works. I get a headache just thinking about it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ciderguy

ciderguy

Login to Send PM

I prefer to leave it to the experts. I'm told that if you can grow tomatoes or eggplants you can grow tobacco. The magic is what happens from topping until it is ready to be smoked. That magic seems to be complicated and not well-suited to someone who is growing on a small scale for personal consumption.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

youngpiper1

Login to Send PM

I am great with tomatoes, haven't tried eggplant

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

youngpiper1

Login to Send PM

I am great with tomatoes, haven't tried eggplant

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jndyer

jndyer

Login to Send PM

It does take a lot to grow cure and blend tobacco, but if you are interested, give it a try and see what you can come up with. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. andrew

Comrade Stalin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just can't see growing a good crop realistically that you would really enjoy smoking, too much work involved for the effort. I can see growing your own for cigarettes, but pipe tobacco is definitely a fine art, much like making good scotch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

Well Young piper, I whole heartedly support your curiosity and hopefully venture into growing your own and blending your own. While it takes time to do all the steps and process to make a good pipe tobacco, anything worth doing or having is worth the effort. There is nothing you cant learn from reading books on the matter and a few visits to a tobacco farm. I am sure there are blenders conventions tobe attend, and tobacconists who would be more than happy to help you out.
    Do some research and find out what plants do well in your climate and soil type. See if there are any growers in your region, and pay them a visit. You may even be surprised as to what rewards you can get from volunteering to help on the weekends.
    Never let neigh sayers discourage you from anything. All men who did great things had lots of detractors.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   rsuninv, petes03, danielplainview, fnord, mephistopheles, tarheel1, zenforest, trailboss, andypandy, bigc, dread, briarfriar, natenice1