PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I had my first bowl of Grousemoor last night. It is by far the most cased, aromatic smoke I've ever had. It was sweet, juicy fruit candy like, with absolutely no tobacco flavor at all. I had to smoke a bowl of Royal Yacht afterwards, just to be sure I had actually smoked something and not just eaten candy. After only one bowl I haven't yet decided whether I like it or not. It is completely different from any other smoke I've ever had. It's weird. Totally different. I'm going to try smoking it in the morning on my way to work and see if it grows on me.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Was the ribbon cut or the plug form? I have the plug and it was told me it is different from the ribbon cut. Yes, also the plug is a unique league of its own but the underlying tobacco is definitely there and for my taste pretty good.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I've had the plug only, it's topped but doesn't drown out the tobacco. Been meaning to try the ribbon cut. I get hints of Juicy Fruit from a number of their blends but not on the plug version of Grousemoor.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s delightfully strange, indeed. It’s good stuff though, especially the plug. I have some from 2007 that’s pitch black now. Mmmm mmmm!

Mar 1, 2014
I think Grousemoore is the only Samual Gawith blend that goes toe to toe with the Gawith Hoggarth Lakelands.

I like to describe my first bowl of Grousemoor as being like smoking a pipe full of baby powder, it was very strange, but the way people describe it here I should probably get some more.

Ennerdale also starts out with more of a perfume note and settles into a heavily candied flavour, one of my most favourite blends.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I get apricot jam from it. It is something I like to keep on hand for the very, very occasional bowl. I think it is nice in its own right, but I only load a small clay with it, that seems to be enough (sometimes for the year). a 200 year old recipe they say!
Isaac

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Grousemoor is weird.
First bowl tasted like old ladies perfume. Second bowl much more fruity. Now I really like it.
Oldest pipe tobacco recipe still in production (by a long shot) so they must be doing something right.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You've heard of blends that can ghost a pipe; well, this one ghosted my sinuses, nose, mouth and throat for the better part of a day. The unpleasant finish thankfully departed at just about the time I was contemplating giving my oral cavity the salt and alcohol treatment. :rofl:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Hahaha! The aroma certainly lingers in the room, in the clothes and probably in the pipe as well. I had another bowl today. The tobacco was a little dryer and the topping was a little less overwhelming. Still weird, but not exactly unpleasant. Weird is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.