PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I've been wanting to try Grousemoor for a while... I've heard it's kind of interesting. I've also been wanting a clay tavern pipe for a while, to kind of go back in time. I suppose the two together would be a good choice. It only makes sense that I smoke a tobacco blend that's been around since the 1790's in a pipe it likely would have been smoked in. I've also heard Grousemoor will ghost the devil out of your pipe, which is reason number two for the tavern pipe. It's cheap, and I'm guessing being clay it will not ghost. Am I correct in assuming this?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Yes, no ghosting in a clay (no cake = no ghost). Even if it gets too much buildup, then you can always take it back to its original condition on the coals of a fire (or in the oven if you're not quite as rustic). Though I'm pretty sure Grousemoor is the exception that may ghost the walls of your house (even if you smoke it outside).

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Grousemoor doesn't really "ghost" unless your mainstay baccy is some sort of plain burley or a really bland blend. But it is a perfumed straight VA and will linger for a few bowls afterwards. It definitely will NOT do a number on your pipe like a drugstore aromatic or any of the heavily sauced leaves....

If anything, ya might have to give the pipe that much needed deep cleaning after Grousemoor.
I do have a pipe "mostly" dedicated to it but I smoke it out of other Lakeland-dedicated pipes....

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Anthony do you have a self cleaning oven?

I have been told (so this is second hand information or disinformation) that one can place a gunked up clay pipe in an oven for the duration of the self cleaning cycle.
I'm not advocating that this be done, but it's my understanding that the following was common practice "back in the day". Just put your gunked up clay in the flames and coals of your fire place and when the fire and embers have cooled, you should have a clean clay pipe.

:puffy:

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Lawrence, maybe it's the lighting, but I see a strong resemblance between you and "The Predator". :D I think it might be the hair...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The coals or burners of a BBQ grill are another possibility for clearing gunk from a clay.

Clays can also be washed with water or alcohol as needed, provided they're at room temperature.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think they're a great combo. I've only smoked a couple of blends in my clay pipe and one of them is Grousemoor. I don't remember if they smoke in any of the Jane Austen movies or not (set c. 1810-20), but that fits the time period perfectly.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
affraid.gif

Lawrence, maybe it's the lighting, but I see a strong resemblance between you and "The Predator". :D I think it might be the hair...
I have hair? 8O

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Never smoked a clay myself, but let us know what you think of the grousemore.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I think the idea of a clay pipe is very cool. Scared to death that I'd break it in a matter of minutes though. Fragile things seem to slip from my hands more often than not.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Scared to death that I'd break it in a matter of minutes though. Fragile things seem to slip from my hands more often than not.
That happened to me - I knocked my clay off the table not long after I got it, and it broke into half-a-dozen pieces. On the other hand, at least they're cheap - I got mine for about $12.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received a long-stemed Gouda clay pipe directly from Gouda, The Netherlands. It's a good smoke. You do have to

re-learn your smoking moves a little bit, or your off arm tends to run into that long stem, or the stem runs into

furniture. No big deal. Just get settled and have somewhere to put the pipe down. And of course, hold the pipe

by the stem. The bowl gets too hot to hold.

Jan 8, 2013
I'll keep that in mind, mso. The one I'm looking at is 17 inches long.... that's a whole heck of a lot of pipe. This is likely something I'll smoke when I'm going to be sitting down for a long while, reading a book or watching a movie.
I already have two ideas for my first smoke out of the tavern pipe. One, I may kick back and watch The Patriot. A great Revolutionary War movie (The need to make more movies for that period). Two, perhaps I'll kick back and read some of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. I'm currently reading those books again, since they have been finished. There's some pipe smoking in those books, as Jordan was a collector and smoker.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
When you get this pipe, need to see some pictures of the pipe and you smoking it like a boss!

Haven't seen a clay pipe before, sounds really interesting though. Certainly would like to hear how you chose to clean it; the idea of putting in a fireplace and removing it and it being perfectly clean sounds awesome. :puffy:

furthur73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
Anyone know where I could find a tri corner hat?
The link below will offer all you need for clay pipes and tri corner hats.
http://www.pantherprimitives.com/other.html

Status
Not open for further replies.