PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Before the Holiday I went to get an IPA at a well stocked local liquor store. It had been years since I had been there and the smaller breweries have, to put it mildly, been VERY busy. There were DOZENS of weird named, and weird flavored, IPAs to choose from and I spent a good deal of time looking. I finally settled on a triple IPA which turned out to have orange and vanilla in it. I hadn't seen this flavoring detail until I was at the register. The fresh faced young lady remarked that it was a good choice and tasted like an orange Creamsicle. I could handle that. She asked for my I.D. and I said my grey beard should suffice as I showed my driver's license. She then told me that grey hair was "trendy" and many twenty somethings and younger were bleaching or dying their hair and beards to achieve it. I couldn't really process this information for a while, that is, until I drank the beer. It tasted like a triple IPA with notes of orange Creamsicle. I then thought how strange it was that my beard was trendy while the rest of me is certainly outdated. I then wondered what kind of person gets grey hair ON PURPOSE?? Fashion or fad, it seemed weird. Just a passing thought. Cheers.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Luckily, Captain, that is a self-correcting problem. I've had grey hair since I was 19. :roll:

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Luckily, Captain, that is a self-correcting problem. I've had grey hair since I was 19.

Amen to that, although not 19, but about 25 is when the grey sprouted up on me. The fellow at the DMV was telling me that grey was in, and young people were dying their hair grey. Now I'm starting to lose some of my hair, so I guess that I have the best of both worlds now. Trendy my ass...

May 4, 2015
My hair seems to be in a race with itself to see if it can all fall out before it all turns gray. It's tied.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I was getting carded until I was in my mid 30's. That's when the grey started coming in.
Now at 54 I still have most of it, but the grey is gaining on the brown. I think my beard has lost the battle entirely.
BIRjgeb.jpg

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I lost most of my hair in my early 20's, and what was left started go grey in my early 30's. I'm in my early 40's now, and quite grey, but I like it just fine!

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I just gradually went grey - I'm 63 now and apart from a little residual red/brown here and there the process is complete (see avatar). In the summer when I am in the sun more it goes more white than grey. I'm ok about it though - I'm not at all vain about getting older.
I'm just glad I didn't go like my dad who had a salt and pepper look for years - I never found that an attractive look.
Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Young folks have a certain amount of license for craziness. Some of them are still dying their hair blue, green, and/or purple, etc. If they must do that, it is nice that some admire their elders enough to dye their hair gray, although I hope they all come to their senses and take advantage of their original hair color while they can. My recently acquired mustache is more white than my hair which still has a tincture of brown to it. I think people do better if they can come to terms with their natural state and make the best of that. With luck there's plenty of time to try out salt-and-pepper, gray, and eventually white, if you have hair left.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The last 3 years have been really rough for me and I started turning gray up on top at 61. My dad did the same thing, but I always wanted to emulate him, as he was a true gentleman of few words.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
voorhees badge of honor maybe for a respectable age. I am 31 and to my discontent I have quite a lot of gray hair. I suppose a combination between genetics and some hard stressful times, none the less when an 18 year old-ish gall called me "mister" last week it made me feel ... old for the first time in my life. I guess it is something one has to get accustomed to, since I won't be getting any younger from this point out ...

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I miss grey hair. I started going grey at 15. What I still have is more white than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.