PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I'm new to the forum and to pipes.
Well, that's not completely true - I smoked a pipe a number of years ago for about 4 or 5 months and stopped, probably poor technique led to poor experience. I was an avid cigar smoker for a few years, and still pick one up occasionally, but I do prefer the smell of good pipe tobacco.
Got me a nice Vauen pipe last week from smokingpipes, and I'm experimenting with and without the 9mm filters. I haven't noticed much difference, but I am a newb. The issue seems more related to the adapter for use without the filter in place - when installed the connection is too tight and I can't get the stem fully into the shank, and without the adapter the draw seems way too open.
Anyway, I've been perusing the forum and have found great help here with the many posts and comments. Looking forward to this journey!

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Welcome, and make sure to head to Allegheney Smokeworks which is a great pipe shop near you. Also, AS hosts a monthly pipe club.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, techie.
I spent a month in Pittburgh working in '96 or so. Great town. I learned to enjoy pierogi and got blitzed at Nico's Recovery Room.
Welcome to the forum.
jay-roger.jpg

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Thank you all!
morgansteele. I will check out the shop. I am in the Sewickley area, and in town there's a place named El Fumador, where I bought my first pipe and sampler of tobacco a number of years back (mentioned in my post above). I'm almost sure it was an aromatic, which I didn't care for too much and it tainted my experience. I usually buy cigars from there.
I grew up in the area but after HS moved around the country quite a bit. Spent 20 years out West (CO & AZ), then returned to Pittsburgh in 2007. Very different place then when I was growing up during the steel mill days. It's very nice now.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Are you pushing the adapter gently into the mouthpiece? I've had the same problem of the adapter being a poor fit with my Vauen Quixx. It fits fine in my Vauen Basic, but again, just like with the DrPerl filters, you have to push it in a bit so that it doesn't move inside the filter 'chamber'.
I prefer to use the filter, though, I get no gurgle and less bite with it than without it.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
The adapter goes into the stem pretty easy until the last few millimeters, then it's a bit tighter, but not much. But attaching the stem/adapter to the shank is impossibly tight. I emailed Vauen about it and they said it shouldn't be that way and I can send it in if I like. I'm not going to send this to Germany over an adapter fit.
I decided to just use this one with the filters. I have no problem with it that way and everything fits as it should.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I think you'll find the folks at El Fumador very responsive. I bought something online from them this week and was impressed with the owner's communication. And, I haven't been to Sewickley but I know there's a great Cafe Racer motorcycle scene out there. Show coming up soon, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.