PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

noseflute

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
Hello all,
Antoine, 54, coming from France. I began smoking the pipe when I was 20 or so, and stopped after few years. Rebegan in 1998, then stopped in 2008. And rerebegan a few days ago. But during these last smoking vacations, I continued to take care of my numerous smokers, and my cellared tins (± 600). I'm currently sipping a 2007 McClelland Grand Orientals Classic Samsun in a Bauer meerschaum (and it's great!).
I teach architecture, have a German girlfriend, a female cat named Patafix, and a Harley Fatboy.

I interest in nose flutes history and collecting them (yes!), I love teas, play some music (uke, oud, baglamas, guitar).
I'm glad to join your group and thank you for your welcome
Antoine

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bonjour, and welcome aboard. Yours sounds like an interesting life. I didn't get to France (Paris and Chartre) until I was over sixty, and then went back to Passiac near Bourdeau on another trip, both with my wife who has spent more time there. I've been in a futile struggle to learn French since my teens ... alas. Beautiful places and food.

noseflute

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
Thank you a lot!
@folanator : well, I mostly have McClellands, GLPease, Dunhill, Cornell & Diehl and Rattrays. Plus many other brands/blends in small quantities. Most of them were bought (obviously) before I stopped smoking in 2008, so they are 10+. I have some collectors : a Murray Baby's Bottom from 2001 (and other Murray Dunhill : DL Navy Rolls, EMP, Elizabethan (2003 & 2004), 2 tins of NASPC GL Pease limited productions (NASPC 2001 Southfarthing and NASPC 2004 Aragorn), 1 tin only of Renaissance 2003. I also have some scarce Bufflehead blends. But nowadays, McClellands become collectables, aren't they ? (I have 163 tins of them :). I also have some bulk blends that I jarred (not so many... some 2 kilos or so).
I began to store them for ageing, but also because tobacco laws were (and still are) becoming more and more strict in France. Nowadays, the tins sold in France are covered both sides with horrible (disease) pictures on 2/3 of the surface. And the taxes are incredibly high. (a Dunhill 50g tin is sold Euro 23, kinda $27). So, I didn't do that for speculation, but just to secure my future smokes (Yes when I stopped smoking, I knew it was for a certain lapse (10 years!:))
@mso489 : Thank you. Yes, we have a beautiful country, as you do! On my side I went only 2 times in the US, once in Washington DC area ad NYC, and once in...Ohio! (and also NYC again)
@civilwar : Thanks a lot for your welcome words

noseflute

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
thank you Ekert and jpmcwjr!
@jpmcwjr : no no no! Nose flutes are nose flutes! Never heard of Humanatones? (you blow with the nose, make the tone with the mouth, and it provides an incredible flute music!

Take a look here (this one, that I restored, dates of the 1920s) : Humanatone

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK! One learns something every day! Merci bien!
L1470163.JPG

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome Antoine. A piper who enjoys tea, rides a Harley, collects nose flutes and plays a uke...a real renaissance man! That is fantastic! :worship:
My wife and I will be making our first trip to France in September. We will be spending eight days in Paris to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We are so looking forward to it.
Again, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: BROBS

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Welcome along. The Maori here in New Zealand have a traditional nose flute but nothing like your picture

noseflute

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
Thank you!
@jpmcwjr : you seem to speak french nicely. Your "je suis perdu" was perfect!
@folanator : yes, in the same family of small and rather unknown instruments...
@nitemair13 : you saw the picture over there. Indeed, there are many many shapes for a nose flute, that make you look more or less stupid/frightening when you play them :) The first one was invented in 1892 in Albion, NY. It was called the "Nasalette" (see here). I hmake a blog on the topic, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post its URL here.
@Chasing Embers : Thank you! If you get a nose flute (on Ebay for instance), avoid the current plastic Humanatones, there are not good. Choose either a wooden nose flute, or better, the rolls-royce : the Bocarina.
@bnichols23 : thank you! Greetings from France!
@scloyd : hahaha! You can't say better to me. That's what I am in my mind, despite the mordern necessities. I can add to that : I interest in Alchemy, I make rebus(es), ... any kind of obsolete arts/sciences :)

Welcome to France when you arrive! I hope that the Parisians will be polite with you (that's not their specialty... I've lived 15 years in Paris, and when I came back to Lorraine, I was surprised that the baker said "hello" when you enter his shop:)
@brassmonkey : thank you! You are right. In Hawaii too, and in the Philippines. But those are traditional nose flutes that were pitched with the fingers. I'm interested and collects only what I call "urban nose flutes", that is, pitched by the mouth (the idea is to have both hands free, notably to play a stringed instrument at the same time).

Here you can can see a short video of my girl friend playing nose flute and uke altogether : The Bear Necessities

noseflute

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
Chasing Embers, you made the right choice! If you need advices to play it, don't hesitate to ask!

The principle is :

- to blow with the nose (only) (NOT to blow with the mouth)

- to open a bit the mouth
Try to insure some hermeticity at the nose side (no air leaks). And then change the pitch with changing your mouth opening (but it's rather instinctive, like when you whistle). You don't need to blow hard, a soft flow is enough. You can achieve up to 3 octaves.
My turn to welcome you! :)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Cher Monsieur Antoine,Soyez le Bienvenue ici et Veuillez accepter mes voeux les bien meilleurs,

Amicalement,Votre,Paul

Finl.

was taught Le Francais a 'l'ecole principale' but today I'm staring to forgetting it due to limited use of it her up North, been to Your great country some tree times but that was in the south region of Languedoque-Roussillon near to Spanish borderline,Very nice place and nice climate indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.