Greetings from Iceland

(59 posts)
  • Started 10 months ago by daniel7
  • Latest reply from daniel7
  1. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

I'm a fellow pipe smoker for 15 years. I live in Iceland and I read forums mainly for pipe tobacc reviews as it is not possible to buy any decent pipe tobacco in Iceland. So usually I order bigger amounts from abroad.
    My favourite pipe tobaccos are Peterson Sherlock Holmes, Peterson Irish Oak, Peterson Old Dublin, Dunhill Night Cap, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Here, in Iceland it is not possible to buy any of these, as we have only Sweet Dublin, Skandinavik and Half & Half pipe tobacco - surprisingly we don't have Borkum Riff among these, it would fit in perfectly into this product range... Previously we had MacBare scottish mixture, but state doesn't import it anymore.
    So I would be thankful if you could recommend me decent pipe tobaccos for example from Smoke King webshop.
    I have some pipes, not a big collection, but I'm planning to buy some more in the near future.
    My favourite pipes I own: Savinelli Ghibli (bent brandy shape), Peterson Donegal Rocky (bent bulldog shape "80s")
    The pipes I'm planning to buy this year: Peterson Sherlock Holmes (Watson or Deerstalker, I haven't decided), Savinelli Minuto (poker shape for quick morning smokes before I go to work), Peterson Churchwarden (Green, prince shape) and some Rattray's in the future.
    (cheap) Pipes I have but I don't really use them anymore: Toscana (straight billiard shape), Savinelli Capitol (full bent dublin shape), Jean Claude (Billiard churchwarden)
    Usually I don't like to use any filters.
    Of course, I'm also interested in some other pipe types so I welcome any suggestions.

Have a nice smoke!

Posted 10 months ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums from Chicago, IL.
    You might want to browse the products from 4noggins.com, since they ship internationally (with a high level of, ahem, customer satisfaction).

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 10 months ago #
  3. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the Forums!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  4. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  5. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Welcome!

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 10 months ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome. I have always enjoyed the dichotomy of Greenland being icier than Iceland, and Iceland being greener than Greenland. Is Greenland like a rival country? Do you guys compete at anything?

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  7. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greetings! I’ve had the pleasure of visiting your country, and immediately fell in love with it. The history, the landscape, the people, the light. I didn’t know about the paucity of pipe tobacco, so that’s one strike against you, right up there with fermented shark meat.

For mail-order tobacco, you should check out site sponsor The Danish Pipe Shop. Great selection (the My Own Blend lis not to be missed), great customer service, very knowledgeable staff.

Where in Iceland do you live?

Posted 10 months ago #
  8. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Daniel.

Tim
    Posted 10 months ago #
  9. techie

techie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums!

Posted 10 months ago #
  10. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums! Its nice to get members from places afar, it helps us put things in perspective.

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If we can get someone in each country, island, continent... to grow tobacco, or at least release seeds into their environment, we can better survive the Apocalypse.

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the warm greetings!
    To answer Cosmic's question: It is true that we have somewhat better weather usually than Greenland, but believe me; it is still sh*tty. Good luck growing tobacco here Maximum in greenhouses - now that would be an expenive thing to smoke.
    Usually you can smoke pipe only inside because of the constant wind. Another funny fact: You can't buy windcap for pipes in Iceland even though it is one of the windiest countries. If some of you is planning to travel here, keep in mind
    To Woodsroad: I'm happy that you liked it here, indeed the nature is nice here. I live in Kópavogur (capital area). And thanks for the tips!

Posted 10 months ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome from California!

Iceland is a mecca for serious photographers, so no surprise Dan had visited.

Re: windcaps- The snap on commercial ones are useless when wind is about 10 knots. Just slap a piece of wood or other inert material over the bowl and you're good to go.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  14. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WELCOME, good sir! Fabulous to have you! You have my complete sympathies on the tobacco situation, for the very little I know they're worth. :(

By the way:

nice to get members from places afar,

Don't pay any attention to what Mike says. He's from Canada. -evil grin-

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard and thank you for expanding Forums' global reach. I've heard it said that Iceland is surprisingly green, and Greenland is predominantly ice, but I've been neither place. My wife got routed to Iceland on a flight to Europe but didn't get to see beyond the airport.

Posted 10 months ago #
  16. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greenland was so named by Eirik Rauda when he discovered it after being banished from Iceland for three years, in AD 982. Some have suggested that he named it so as a marketing strategy to attract settlers to the new colony he founded there. Maybe, he exaggerated a bit, but he couldn't exaggerate so much and risk facing the wrath of the crews of the 14 ships that followed him there. The key fact here is that the climate was warmer then (even warmer than to-day), and thus Greenland was, well, very green (in terms of grass, that is; it was practically treeless). When the Little Ice Age set in, Greenland became less green and icier, and the Norse Greenland settlements perished.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 10 months ago #
  17. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Bienvenue du Québec, Daniel !

I had a look at Smoke King's selection and would recommend, based on your choices of the moment, the following:

- Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. I have purchased several tins and find it to be an excellent tobacco;
    - Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie. They are classic virigias with Perique and some contain a bit of Kentucky;
    - If you would like to venture into Burleys, Solani's 656 Aged Burley Flake is a marvelous tobacco.

If you would like to have a look at My Smoking Shop UK's website, you might want to try J.F. Germain's Rich Dark Flake, which is an outstanding flake of virginias and Burleys with a malty and molasses topping. As it is a bit seler, you need to have a look on a regular basis and not hesitate when it is available :
    http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&nm=Germains%20Pipe%20Tobacco&ns=Rich%20Dark%20Flake&man=325&sec=2464

Iceland is a country that my wife and I intend to visit in the near future. Besides the beautiful, breathtaking and unique landscapes, a distinctive way of life and the charming people, we are attracted to all the numerous heitur pottur scattered throughout the island. I am also a huge fan of Arnaldur Indridason's mystery novels featuring Inspector's Erlendur's investigations.

Posted 10 months ago #
  18. skeeter456

skeeter456

Login to Send PM

welcome!

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome from Atlantic Canada. My wife and I traveled to Iceland for our honeymoon, loved it and want to return, her for sightseeing, me for Salmon fishing

Posted 10 months ago #
  20. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few pix from my trip to Iceland...

Posted 10 months ago #
  21. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

be Welcome Sir, my understanding is that Iceland has quite a wide variety of Norwegian Roll Your own Tobaccoes available,like the following well known names as Asbjoernsen,Petteroe's & Tiedemann's blanding,in my experience many of those can be smoked in smaller chambered pipes more or less successfully.Do You have any Swedish pipetobaccoes out there?The brand like Greve Hamilton's and Caravelle with rum.(Both quite horrible blends btw)Have good time here, and Greets from Finland-Paul

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 10 months ago #
  22. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

Hi from Canada. I just bought some "Icelandic style" skyr yogurt today. It tastes a lot like "Greek" yogurt, which tastes fairly similar to "Balkan" yogurt.

Posted 10 months ago #
  23. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, sir.

Dan, the photos are amazing. Especially the one with the red riding hood running towards her grandma's house.

Javan
    Posted 10 months ago #
  24. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Javan, that's my daughter, Eve. It was 9:30 and we had just finished dinner. I had the best leg of lamb ever, and we decided to go look at the sea, which was only a few hundred yards from our hotel. There were these sheep out wandering the moors, and they seemed to know that I had eaten one of their relatives...

Posted 10 months ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the pics!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  26. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Michael. I made them all with a borrowed camera.

I had just been relieved of duty as a newspaper photographer, and hadn't bought new gear yet. A good friend lent me his Canon 30d and kit lens for the trip.

Iceland is fish in a barrel for beautiful photos. You could do this with an iPhone.

Posted 10 months ago #
  27. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 10 months ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dayum! Nice shots.

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Iceland is fish in a barrel for beautiful photos.

Perhaps a new thread with these Iceland pics Dan, I have some I could dig out and scan. Beautiful pics by the way

Posted 10 months ago #
  30. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

These are really nice photos!

Unfortunately, here we have only three types of pipe tobaccos:
    - Skandinavik
    - Swet Dublin
    - Half & Half

Previously we had Mac Baren Scottish Mixture, but it is not available anymore. The import of any tobacco products is strictly ruled by the government so this is the whole selection in the country.

From wrap (cigarette) tobaccos we have a little bit more types:
    - Amber Leaf
    - American Spirit Natural
    - Bali Shag Mellow Virginia
    - Bali Shag Rounded Virginia
    - Bali Shag Halfzware Blue

So now you can see why I'm interested mainly in foreign webshops.
    I'm planning to buy a Savinelli Minuto, so I will be able to try the cigarette tobaccos here. What is your opinion, is it worth a try? Has anybody tried it - I mean Savinelli Minuto pipe (or something similar) with cigarette tobacco?

As you are saying that windcap is almost "good for nothing", maybe it is not even worth the ~2USDs it costs.

Posted 10 months ago #
  31. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do buy a windcap. At the price of a Czech tool, there's really no reason not to, even if it's not used all the time. Note that it's unlikely to fit the Minuto, though.

I did buy a tiny pipe for the same reasons you're ogling that Minuto: short smokes. I am not allowed to smoke in my apartment, not even the balcony, thus, I must keep my smoking sessions short. I also wanted a smallish pipe I could use to try blends out, and to smoke nicotine-heavy blends without being floored. In my case I bought a Vauen Quixx. Alas, it doesn't see much use: tiny bowls can be tricky to pack.

Posted 10 months ago #
  32. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One thing I forgot about the windcap: it's more than that: I use mine more as a cap than as a windcap—to get my pipe through non-smoking areas, or when I have to put it away, it prevents spills.

Posted 10 months ago #
  33. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome from the Faroe Islands. Right next door. Or harbor really. Been to Iceland several times and like it a lot. Especially off-season, as tourism has become quite overwhelming lately. We're heading the same path. Anyway, welcome.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  34. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I'm enjoying the pictures! Beautiful country, though I must say I would miss all the trees we have here in the Midwest U.S.

Posted 10 months ago #
  35. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I see a lot of Icelanders hanging around the shopping malls at Xmas time.

Welcome aboard.

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 10 months ago #
  36. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

With my next tobacco order I will get a windcap, it is so cheap I need to try at least. After that I will write about my experiences with it from a really windy place.

Posted 10 months ago #
  37. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try E A Carey’s excellent company I particularly like
    1. Desert is Mix And
    2. Black Sliced Twist
    Kind regards

George

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 10 months ago #
  38. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see a lot of Icelanders hanging around the shopping malls

How does one identify an Icelander at the mall? Do they wear furs and squint a lot? Just curious.

Posted 10 months ago #
  39. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They all are wearing Helly Hanson jackets and eating fermented shark meat while they walk their horses around, quote loudly from The Sagas and complain about the tourists.

Posted 10 months ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahhh... fermented shark meat.

Posted 10 months ago #
  41. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mmmm......fermented shark meat.

Posted 10 months ago #
  42. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Hákarl (fermented shark meat) is recognizable by its smell indeed, but it is not THAT common to eat it in a foreign country because foreigners don't.... used to the smell
    Also, Helly Hansen is totally wrong, we wear our brands, like Icewear, 66° North, Cintamani and ZOON. And of course, there are the hand-knitted Icelandic sweaters.
    But he may be right, we are easily recognizable. The complaining about tourism is totally correct, especially in the case of the elder ones
    But unfortunately, most of us is not a pipe smoker.

As I can see, most members are from the USA, is that correct?

Posted 10 months ago #
  43. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When its really cold (Which is hardly the case nowadays even here)I prefer wearing my Canadian Goose Parka,
    Olkofri: speaking of tiny sized chambered pipes, that's the only reason I decided to get rid of my almost like brand new Chacom classic Rhodesian, otherwise its a nice pipe,but only accepts a tiny amount of tobaccoes and preferably,be it either shag cut or well-broken flake tobaccos

Posted 10 months ago #
  44. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I can see, most members are from the USA, is that correct?

Most, but there are members from all over the world. Lots of Canadians and Europeans too. Our friendly mod Javan is from Azerbaijan.

Posted 10 months ago #
  45. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

66° North

My wrong!
    I remember admiring the 66° North wear when I was in Iceland. Please accept my apologies for confusing Icelandic and Norwegian fashions!

One of the many things that I did love about Iceland was that I could find pickled or smoked fish at almost every meal. My daughter was getting pretty tired of it by day 3, but I was like "oh, pickled herring? AND smoked salmon? Yes, please"

Posted 10 months ago #
  46. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Helly Hansen is swedish actually. It's Bergans that is norwegian

Posted 10 months ago #
  47. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I feel myself getting really really cold... I wonder where the heck I am, and what went wrong.

Posted 10 months ago #
  48. skeeter456

skeeter456

Login to Send PM

welcome to the forums!

Posted 10 months ago #
  49. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Helly Hansen is a Norwegian producer of textiles and gear for sports and work on the ocean and in the mountains, headquartered in Oslo, Norway. From its founding in 1877 until October 2009, the company was headquartered in Moss, Norway."

Posted 10 months ago #
  50. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome.

in the past few years, Iceland has become a go-to tourist destination for folks in my city (Miami). A couple of carriers instituted inexpensive flights and suddenly everyone and his brother is headed to the frosty north. I've got several friends who have made the trip and all report amazing landscapes and tremendously fine people.

Posted 10 months ago #
  51. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Woodsroad: I knew it was a swedish brand. Damn! My hands feel just like two balloons

Posted 10 months ago #
  52. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Norwegian, you mean?

Posted 10 months ago #
  53. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No swedish. I knew it was swedish. Now I feel like everything else I know might also be norwegian!

Posted 10 months ago #
  54. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, you knew that you knew, but what you knew what you knew wasn't... you know.

Posted 10 months ago #
  55. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Exactly!

Posted 10 months ago #
  56. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know.

Posted 10 months ago #
  57. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are you sure?

Posted 10 months ago #
  58. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, no.

Posted 10 months ago #
  59. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Now you know!

It is nice to see that there are people in the world who enjoy our fashion, food, landscapes and weather. It is indeed exotic for a person from Miami or almost from anywhere else.

But please, fellow pipers, take my advices when you are planning to travel here - don't forget to take your tobacco with you and you know; wind, Wind, WIND.

Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   willyspiper, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud, pitchfork, prndl