PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Good morning/evening folks!
I am an on and off pipe smoker, had a 2 years hiatus when I switched from cigarettes to vaping. Due to still craving authentic burnt tobacco taste I picked up my pipe (a Savinelli Tevere gifted to me years ago), filled it with some dregs of Dunhill Nightcap that I had in an old tin and oh my God was it good - even though it was totally dry.
Now I am back into it, searching and reading, so thought I'd say hello!
In terms of preferences, I started with aromatics but they did nothing for me, then tried non-aromatics which again didn't do much, until I tried Latakia mixes, and I was forever hooked to them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In terms of preferences, I started with aromatics but they did nothing for me, then tried non-aromatics which again didn't do much, until I tried Latakia mixes, and I was forever hooked to them.
Welcome aboard! Aromatics are best enjoyed after smoking a pipe for a while. Latakia and Burley blends are very forgiving when starting out as they smoke cooler and have a stronger flavor. I've been smoking a pipe for twenty-eight years now and am primarily a Virginia/Oriental tobacco smoker and have lost all but very little interest in heavy Latakia blends. Aromatics at the point of my experience now taste exactly as they smell.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard!
I hadn’t smoked a pipe in 18 years. But could never forget my favorite.......Nightcap!
I just joined the forums recently as well.
Enjoy!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome to the forums. I'm hooked on Latakia blends and trying to get into some Lakelands. Lakelands are not easy to get...the only one I have so far is GH Ennerdale.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
@Embers my inexperience is likely that the reason I like Latakia and aromatics did nothing for me - I couldn't taste anything - it was just what was suggested in the shop (if memory serves it was some Borkum Riff vanilla flavour). Then I tried cherry and wondered what the hell was I supposed to be tasting.
I much later had a look at ratings of these tobaccos and saw they are both considered rock bottom flavours. But then a friend said that his dad smoked Dunhill, so I got a few tins of English blends and was hooked for good. In fact I remember lighting up and saying "wow that's the stuff!". Problem is my wife complains that every Latakia blend smells like burning rubber so I got confined to the balcony even before kids etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.