PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sisyphusm

Lurker
Mar 16, 2018
Hello, ladies and gents. Greetings from Greece, which right now is looking like hell on Earth as far as pipe tobacco is concerned, as the market has dried up to truly post-apocalyptic levels. Even Captain Black is hard to find! Anyway, I have been smoking pipes and cigars for some ten years now, and have browsed these forums for advice many a time. I join belatedly to become part of a wonderful community.

sisyphusm

Lurker
Mar 16, 2018
Thank you, Cortez. Greece will not be leaving the EU for the foreseeable future, that's for sure. Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to these things, as the EU guidelines on the sale of tobacco are complete trash, and trade outside the Union is just more restricted. I deeply regret not trying more tobacco blends while I was living in Britain, with the considerably better selection one can find there. I don't know how leaving the Union will affect their tobacco sales.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Welcome, your tobacco woes much, much worse than from the land of the braves and home of the free, but even here we have similar woes. But welcome nonetheless!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. 4noggins.com is very adept at getting packages through many countries customs restrictions with their nondescript packaging. You might want to give them a look.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
sisyphusm welcome where in Greece are you?

I live in Corfu and as with all of Greece the only tobacco available here is Skandanavik or Mc Baren and Davidoff but they are all available and show in stock on line in Athens stores
http://www.tobaccostore.gr/eshop/index.php?cPath=28_86_93&&page=1
http://www.youandme.gr/kapnoi/kapnoi-pipas/category-189.html#3
I agree the selection is bad but I am lucky I have visitors from Uk in the summer who bring gifts for me

sisyphusm

Lurker
Mar 16, 2018
Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome!
cigrmaster: Thank you very much for the suggestion. I have created a 4noggins account after reading only great things about them (and I do mean great things, everyone seems to be raving about them) and will try ordering some in small qualities soon.
paulfg: I'm in Athens. And you know what, Skandinavik Regular is currently my best friend. It's definitely a good everyday smoke for when you want something sweet, mellow and straightforward. As for the UK, I feel like an idiot for not going crazier on my tobacco purchases when I lived there. There are some truly first-rate tobacconists in London with excellent house blends and good selections.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
sisyphusm

do you know anything about these blends,they seem to be new as they werent on there website when I looked last time
http://wolfwaytobacco.gr/el/products/medusa-pipe-blends

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Welcome my Greece brother,My late daddy visited your country several times as sailor at merchant navy(Port of Pireus-Athenes)

somehow I can't imagine pipetobacco offerings will remain this bad for eternity even in Greece,and concerning on ordering from outside of the Eu Region orders,my friendly advice to you is,keep quantities at the lowest possibly level,for the first few times at least,anything unexpectedly can happen, and Now allow me to wish you,and Your Family to have a magnificient Easter season Holidays,saying in advance'Xristos Anesti' Best greets from Finland-Eu, Paul

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Welcome sisyphusm! So! Greece gives the rest of the pipe smoking world superior brier for our pipes and the best Oriental tobacco for our blends and YOUR tobacco selections are lousy? There just ain't no justice in this world brother!
Plugugly

sisyphusm

Lurker
Mar 16, 2018
Thank you all again!
paulfg: I have heard good things about their blends and definitely want to try them. Apparently, the only place that carries them [ www.smokerslab.com/ ] is out, but your link makes it look like you can order directly from Wolfway, so contacting them would be a good idea. And I'll do just that.
paulie66scandinavian: Thank you very much for your kind and warm wishes. Although I am not a Christian, Easter-time is a week of vacation-time, and THAT is definitely something I celebrate! Some of my own forefathers were sailors as well. Shipping is big in Greece, but it used to be bigger still, and in some coastal and island areas, pretty much every member of the family would often be a seaman. Thanks for the advice on ordering, I intend to keep my first order to 2 tins and see how it goes.

sisyphusm

Lurker
Mar 16, 2018
plugugly: Yes, we have good briar, some excellent pipe-makers and great local tobacco grown in the northern part of the country. But if you walk into a tobacconist's in Greece and ask for pipe tobacco, you'll get a true desert island experience....

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
sisyphusm I agree about Greek pipe makers. I have 2 Michael Kyriazanos pipes and they are lovely also Chris Asteriou makes so beautiful pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.