PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Hi folks. I'm an American who married a German woman while in Africa and thus find myself living in Germany for now. I smoked a corncob in my young years while fishing the creeks and rivers of home. At that point in life I was too young to smoke (about 12) and stopped completely until recently. Now in my 40s I've taken up smoking the occasional pipe. I'm fortunate to have a wife who is tolerant of this indulgence however out of concern for her I do all my smoking outdoors. I enjoy a pipe while surrounded by the natural world, often while birding.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Willkommen! I have been to Germany (Russelsheim and Frankfurt) once, I went for a training for 3 days, however I managed to drink enough beer and glühwein as it was Christmastime and visit some museums including The Russelsheim Museum. It was a training held by GM at Opel headquarters, I was a cigarette smoker back then and I was probably the only one at the whole complex.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
[ What are your favorite blends to smoke?]
I'm still trying out different blends. At the moment I lean toward HU Director's Cut when alone and W.O.Larsen Signature if nonsmokers might be around. Given that I am in Germany I am interested in trying out some of what is on offer here but not in the U.S. I'll slowly try out some new blends as finances allow.
[Where about in Germany my friend? ]
I'm in Nordrhein-Westfalen where my wife is originally from and where her extended family is.
[managed to drink enough beer and glühwein]
That glühwein can really warm one up on a cold night! I've discovered that my trousers have become a bit tight which I attribute to good cheap beer. I'll have to limit my intake if only to prevent needing a new wardrobe.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Welcome! Pipe smoking is a seemingly never-ending treat of a pipe aesthetic and the infinite variations within the major tobacco blending families.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome! It's always a pleasure to read posts from other countries. :clap:

I'm happy to see that PipesMagazine has such international reach.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Welcome!
God willing, I'll be leaving for Germany in 9 days: two-week field trip to Berlin. Then I'll take a few days to do a pilgrimage to Elsass and visit Koeln. Looking forward to it.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My avatar seems not to work. It looks like I successfully uploaded an avatar photo to my profile but it still doesn't show. I even changed the photo so see if that would work and it doesn't.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@seldom. There are two profiles on this board. One for pipesmagazine and one for the forum. You posted your avatar to pipesmagazine and not the forum.
Go here
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/profile/seldom
Then profile link upper right. Post avatar there and it will show up on the forum.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Ah good. It's working. Originally it was Darby O'Gill from a Disney movie but in trying to get it to work I switched to this image. I've been curious about the Enzian and Gesteckpfeife/Jaegerpfeife/Tyrolean pipes in general. Very astute for you to recognize the image Olkofri! And thanks for the information Npod.

Status
Not open for further replies.