PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingleo

Lurker
May 9, 2019
Hello all,
I'm a new pipe smoker. I'm currently into the aromatics, as is generally the case with the new guys, from what I understand. I would like to experience some of the non-aromatic blends, but I'm woefully uninformed concerning them. Tried a straight burley tobacco recently that made me want to puke. Smelled and tasted like cigarettes, which is not what I'm looking for in a pipe smoking experience. I enjoy flavors and aromas...if I can't get those from non-aromatics, then I will happily stick with the aromatics. Any advice or suggestions are gleefully welcomed.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome! Aromatics are where a lot of us start, but can be tricky when you are learning proper breathing and sipping. What flavors and tastes are you looking for?
If you haven't already watched them, Russ Ouellete has a great series of videos on YouTube that explain the differences in the main tobacco types. He is a master blender so he knows what he is talking about!

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Welcome! I started with aromatics as well. Eventually my tastes changed as I tried different blends. I moved into English and it's now my primary blend along with some Virginas. I still enjoy Aro's but only certain ones. I think if you take your time and just try different blends you will find what works for you.
I'm not a Burley fan but love Tabac Manil Semois. If you don't like one burley don't let it keep you from trying others. It may be years before you settle in for what works for you. Even then it may change.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Arkansas, the state of the last probable sighting of the big Ivory Billed Woodpecker, in the Arkansas eastern lowlands, a now-mythic bird that is almost certainly extinct. Welcome aboard. I'm a big burley buff, but don't worry if it's not your thing, plenty of other great genres. I says, some love burley, some hate it, and others can't taste it at all.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. I would jump into the deep end and grab a tin of Capstan Blue Flake. You will need to read up on cube cutting tobacco and fold and stuff. I would suggest cube cutting in the beginning. If you enjoy that blend then an entire world will open up for you.

You will want to use a pipe that has no ghost from aromatics.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard from Detroit!
I remember when I first smoked a pipe back in the 90's. Picked up a pouch of Captain Black and couldn't even taste it. Went over to a tobacco store and bought a tin of Nightcap and never looked back. Now I like English/Balkan, VaPers, Virginias and most everything else too.
You just have to give 'em a try to see which tobaccos you will enjoy the most.
Enjoy and good luck! :puffy:

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Welcome kingleo to a great forum! How are the smoking laws there? Restaurants? Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.